59: тнє ρσωєя ιѕ мιиє

Start from the beginning

"At least he put some effort in." My father said much to my relief. I knew that Zaire wanted my parents approval, even if I told him I really didn't care. "Your mother is waiting in the dining room. Please toe off your shoes and leave them in the foyer." Zaire looked to me, and I nodded. He took his shoes off and placed them neatly by the door. I followed suit, merely because I didn't want a fight to break out this early on into the night.

My father silently led us into the dining room, sitting down at the table beside my mother. I sat across from her, Zaire to my left. As far away from my father as possible. "You have a lovely home." Zaire said kindly.

My mother smiled at him, "Thank you so much. You look wonderful, it's so nice to finally meet a man who our son is dating." She said sweetly. My father chuckled.

"He's hardly a man." He retorted, and Zaire flinched, looking down at the table in front of him.

I could've sworn I heard him mumble more of a man than you under his breath but I didn't get onto him about it. Truthfully, I was thinking the same thing. Tabitha brought us out our food, putting it on the plates. Then she poured wine into our wine glasses. Zaire looked rather uncomfortable being served, but he smiled politely and thanked her. A few moments of silence passed as we all began eating. But they do truly say that all good things must come to an end.

"So what do you do, Zaire?" My mother questioned, and he bit his lip chancing a glance at my father before he smiled at her.

"I am a kindergarten teacher. I taught Alexei when he was with Sykes." He said, and my fathers eyes narrowed. "I had to take some time off because of some personal reasons, but at the beginning of next year I will be back to work again." He told her, looking up at me nervously.

"Oh, so how are you getting funds to pay for your home then?" My father asked, a smirk playing on his lips.

"He lives with me, father." I said, clenching my teeth. You'd think that at forty years old I'd be able to tear into him like a starving dog getting raw meat, but I still can't stand to look him in the eyes.

"Oh, so he's a gold-digger then?" He asked, and Zaire tensed. I put my hand on his leg to calm him down, my temper threatening to flare and burn the entire house full of lies down.

"No, he's not. He earns his keep well." I snapped, looking at my mother. She bit her lip looking slightly guilty.

"Oh, is he a prostitute then?" He asked, and I squeezed Zaire's leg hard, barely managing to control myself. Zaire wants them to like him. Zaire wants them to like him...

But why?

"No, I'm not." Zaire spoke up, worrying his lip with his teeth. "I believe he means that I help him out a great deal." He said easily, and I nodded.

When Zaire placed his hand on top of mine on his thigh, I took a deep breath and glared at the man who called himself my father but didn't jump on him like I oh so desperately wanted to. Fuck it'd be so easy to kick his old ass.

"Ah," My father said, smirking a bit and going silent. My mother took that as her cue to continue, though.

"So you live with Sykes then? How long have you guys been together?" She asked. Zaire beamed, lacing his fingers with mine. It made my heart calm the slightest.

"We've been together going on ten months, I believe?" He said, and I nodded easily.

"Nearly eleven," I tell him and he blushes, smiling at me. For a moment, everything around us disappears and it's just us. I sighed when my mom brought me back to the real world.