85. What it all comes to

Final Part!!

:::Charity:::

"Frankly I would have been annoyed if he had stopped by and not said hello." I stopped aburptly as I realized when my annoyance made me blurt out and glowered at Mr. Donald. 

"Nevertheless, my mother will not allow me back into my house until I have dealt with Charity."

I could hear the endearment in his tone and I turned to him with a smile, my heart fluttering enthusiastically in my breast. "What could you need to discuss with me that would make your mother say such a thing?" I laughed at the absurdity as I took in the affectionate smile on his face. When he didn't say anything for several seconds, my mind started to imagine the worst case scenario. Had Edi discovered that I snuck into her house and pilfered the jacket? She knew I forgot something and I doubt very much the theft went unnoticed by everyone. I blushed and looked down, what excuse could I give him that wouldn't make this even more difficult?

"Chari!" My head snapped to the house and my sister walking towards us. "Hello Kent. Mr. Donald." I could hear the strain in her voice and the way she held herself so perfectly. It was like she felt she would fall apart if she gave even just a little. 

"Geraldine." Kent said, his tone wasn't guarded but it wasn't as warm as before. Still there was something different about the way he addressed her, something more familiar. 

Geri wrapped her arm through mine and I became even more worried by the trembling I could feel in her body. "I hope you don't mind, I need to speak with my sister urgently." She squeezed my arm more tightly as her strained voice grew heavy with bafflement. I felt the color drain from my face as my pulse quickened with worry. 

"Not at all." My eyes found Kent's face as his words and his tone washed calm over me. He smiled warmly at me, that same strange manner in which he's been addressing me with for the last fortnight. It was exhilarating and frightening at the same time. 

I took a deep breath and let Geri lead me into the house. The tension that seemed to be holding her upright didn't dissipate as we entered the house. "Somewhere private." Geri said tight lipped and barely audible. 

I nodded and led her upstairs to my room. I only managed to remain calm because I knew she wasn't. Inside I felt like a leaf caught in a wind storm, pulled in every direction at once and not at all certain of which way was up. I remained silent until we entered my room and my sister finally released me. "Geri?" I asked as she took several steps forward and her hands flexed open and closed. 

"Chari," She said as I saw her straighten her shoulders and clench her fists tightly. Finally after several tense seconds she turned and faced me, her hands wrapping around her middle. "I'm going to be a moth." Her voice was quiet and filled with disbelief, fear and wonderment. 

I was sapped instantly of all fear and I smiled so largely my face began to ache. "Truly?" My tone matched hers, save for the fear. I couldn't bring myself to move closer to her yet, I was still frozen in shock. 

Geri collapsed on my bed and smiled to match mine as tears rained down her face. "Yes."

I laughed and broke from of my shock and launched myself onto the bed beside her. I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and squeezed her for hear life. "Oh Geri, I'm so happy for you! You nearly scared me to death!"

Geri sat absolutely still, her hands on her stomach and her eyes trained forward. "Charity." Her voice broke with more sorrow than joy as she began to sob in earnest. 

Confused, I wrapped her in my arms and let her cry until she was finished. My mind sorted through all of the possibilities of why she would react this way but mostly it strayed back to joy. Finally her body stopped shaking and her tears slowed down enough that she could breathe without sucking in air. I came around the front of the bed and knelt before her. "Hush now, what is this?" I asked, saddened slightly by the familiarity of my words and actions as I gently wiped her face of the evidence of her tears.