2. Trapping a scoundrel

:::Kent:::

I paused at the door to my father's personal study. I'd been called home quite abruptly and that rarely bode well for me. My father was not an idle man or even a casual acquaintance and that meant, in my eyes, that I was probably in for another fight about my current choices. I thought about the new girl I'd left behind. She wasn't as young as I liked, hell she was older than me and I'd recently celebrated my twenty seventh birthday, but she had more experience in the art of pleasing a man and I thought age a worthy sacrifice in the face of such knowledge and skill.

I smiled as I leaned against the wall, bracing myself for the onslaught. Preston, the great Earl of Preston, waited on the other side of the door and it amused me to think how annoyed he must be for having his precious time wasted. I had received the summons nearly a week ago and had taken my time getting around to answering. No doubt my father thought his power so absolute that I should have materialized out of thin air as soon as he wished to see me. I knew he would be more riled up by having to wait and wonder if I would even show up, but I was not one to back down from a challenge. I detested being called and expected to obey like a dog.

So I waited, with delight, outside of the study unwilling to break the silent struggle of wills. "Kent?" I turned at the sound of my sister's voice and found in her stead a beautiful young woman.

"You've grown." I said, an amused smile on my face.

She smiled in return and rushed to embrace me. "It has been two years, most people grow." She said into my shirt.

I felt the first pangs of guilt but silenced them right away. Amelia would be better without knowing too much of me. I pulled her to arm's length so I could examine her. She stared at me boldly and I thought confidence looked good on her. She was tall, like our mother with large blue eyes in a pale, beautiful face. The only feature we shared was the jet black hair of our mother.

I smiled and released her. "You are no longer a child."

She laughed, a sound I had always treasured, "And you are an old man." I chuckled in return and Amelia perked up. "Are you staying?"

I braced myself for the disappointment and shook my head. "I should think not. I'll have it out with him," I shot another look at the door and sighed, "which I expect to go as tradition dictates and be gone by the evening."

Amelia hid her disappoint well as she smiled at me. I got the feeling that she knew something and was refusing to share. My look turned quizzical and she spoke. "Have you seen mother?"

"No. I hoped my visit would have been too brief to worry her over." I squared my shoulders and looked at the door in a determined way. "I should like to get this over with."

Amelia laughed and I was not at all pleased by the mischief in her eyes. "I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you." I stared at her for a few minutes but she did not fidget under my gaze. After a few minutes Amelia relented, but of her own free will I noticed. "Father has something planned. I don't know what exactly, but he's getting the house ready for something and he's hired new staff. All of it has to do with you."

I sighed and looked at her. "There is no reason for me to stay, even with a new selection of staff to scandalize." Amelia giggled and brought out a smile on my face. "I may stay for dinner, but I'll be gone in the morning."

Amelia shrugged looking unconvinced and began to walk away. "I'll tell mother to expect you."

I laughed at her confidence and called after her. "Brandan is here as well, tell her we'll both join her for dinner." Amelia nodded and turned into one of the many doors.