27. One day in bed, the rest in the library

:::Charity:::

My eyes came open and my vision was blurry. My neck cried in protest as I lifted my head from my arm. The soft curves and light colors of Geri's room met my questioning mind. I groaned as I sat up and stretched, realizing I'd fallen asleep in a chair near Geri's bed. As my tired mind settled into the present my eyes shot to the bed and the sleeping form of my sister. 

Her eyes were closed and she smiled faintly in her sleep. The cut over her eye brow was thin and small, much smaller than the amount of blood suggested. I smiled in relief as I remembered the panic and uncertainty of the day before. It had amounted to nothing more than a small but and a swollen ankle. I stretched again trying to work the soreness from my bones. What horrors would I face in repercussion for my short tempter to Mr. Rivers yesterday? It hardly mattered, I wouldn't have changed anything about our exchange if given the chance. I smiled at the anger in his eyes as Kent appeared to halt his abuse. 

"Thinking about your handsome devil?" Geri asked quietly from her bed. I laughed and shook my head. "What then?"

I smiled and shrugged my shoulders, trying to keep the wince from my face and the pain from my voice. "Things I probably shouldn't have said but wouldn't change."

She smiled more firmly and sat up fully. "Isn't that almost everything?"

I nodded archly at her and she laughed. "I would say that is way, young one." I laughed as well, my thoughts contemplative as the noise in the room died out. "That is probably a result of being the bastard of a noble." I said quietly.

Geri frowned as she watched me. "Come now, Chicken," she said, doing her best interpretation of our father, "we treat you no differently."

I laughed at her poor attempt. "I would change nothing. Ever. But it does help to remind me that I don't have to follow such strict guidelines as you do." I said seriously. 

Geri giggled, her eyes filling with mirth as my face fell in confusion. "I think you would be exactly the same no matter who your mother was, or wasn't."

After a moment I snickered as well. "I had hoped that I might've had a gentler disposition."

"Well I am glad we never have to find out, for I love you just as you are." Geri proclaimed proudly.

I came to sit on her bed with her. "I guess you are right. Gentle breeding, as Ursula calls it, doesn't guarantee a good character. Look as Kesler and Tallys." I said mockingly which earned a laugh from her. "How will you ever survive in her home without me?" I frowned and so did Geri. "We'll have to make sure father is on high alert at all times."

"For what Chicken?" Bastion asked from the doorway.

I looked over at him and smiled. "For the fangs of the dragon as you venture deep into her lair."

He laughed and stepped further into the room. "I never forget the sting of her venom." He perched on the opposite side of the bed and squeezed Geri's hand. "But why must I be on high alert?"

I looked at Geri, wondering if she told him. "Because you must spend three days or more in her company... in her home!" I said for emphasis.

He laughed warmly and grabbed my hand with his free one. "I don't think Ursula would dare to be mean to Geri in front of her guests, especially when she knows your pension for standing up for your sister." I looked away from him to Geri and she nodded ever so slightly. "Why is it I always feel as if I'm missing half the conversation when I'm in a room with you two?" Bastion asked, amused.

I smiled back at him. "Because you are." Geri laughed and I watched my father's face wash with love as he regarded us. "I'm not going." I said firmly.