29. Verbal battle

:::Kent:::

I grimaced as I rubbed my hands over my sore arm. The old crone had been just as venomous and inaccurate with a pin as I remembered. But I was assured I would be appropriately attired for the events leading up to and including the ball. I scratched at the irritated skin again as I found my eyes wandering across the library and landing involuntarily on Charity. I hid the smile that came to my lips as I replayed the last few days in my mind. My cold attitude toward my Lady only made Geraldine quiet and even more demure. The more she withdrew into herself, the more the beast showed in her maid.

Charity protected her mistress with nothing short of the ferocity of a mother bear protecting her young. She barely looked at me but every clipping remark out of her beautiful mouth was aimed right at me, and each flung to kill.

I watched her overtly from the corner of my eyes. She was sitting on the arm of the chair Geraldine occupied, smiling sweetly as Geraldine read to her quietly. I wondered if she missed our late night run-ins. If she did, she showed no sign of it.

I ran my hand through my hair, a picture in my mind of Charity as she helped Geraldine stand to be measured yesterday. They were so wrapped up in their laughter that neither seemed to notice as I paused in the door on my way out, transfixed by the scene before me. Charity's midnight black hair had come loose as the girls struggled to find the right balance between support and distance. She was laughing openly, her silver eyes sparkling in the dim light of the room. Her face more beautiful in her joy than anything I'd ever seen before. 

She was open and free and she would never be mine. I gritted my teeth so hard my jaw ached as I opened my eyes. She was nothing more than a conquest, one who refused to be conquered. I knew myself well enough to know I wasn't capable of love, just as Charity had accused, but I wanted to possess her. I realized the other night the more she told me no, the more my body screamed yes. So much so that my mind would fabricate emotions just to have her. I glanced at Charity again and grinned wickedly when I caught her examining me. She scowled but didn't look away. I could tell by the way her silver eyes flashed that she wanted nothing more than to throttle me. She wouldn't be so eager if she knew just how much I would enjoy it. But I wasn't so cruel as to deprive her of the opportunity. I wiped the smile from my face and replaced it with complete disinterest. 

"What are you reading?" Brandan asked before I could speak, shooting me a warning look. 

Geraldine's head shot up, giving me an uncertain look. She closed her book and looked at Charity for reassurance. "It is a story of the greatest battle ever fought." She said, sitting straighter. 

"What's that?" I asked, my voice light and mocking. "The rush to see who gets the best seat in the house?"

Geraldine flinched but answered with innocence and sincerity. "No, Lord Kent, the fight for love, true love." She finished strongly.

Both women watched me, one expectantly, the other warily. I laughed into the silence and almost felt bad when Geraldine winced. "Tell me then, dear one, how is this battle fought?"

Charity reached over and grabbed Geraldine's hand, the contact seemed to bolster the other woman up. "The battle is waged in many different ways but the things that never change is the ways in which true love can be shown." A slight blush came to her cream colored cheeks, I marveled for a moment at the exquisite beauty, even more pronounced when she was run away with her words.

"Such as what?" I asked skeptically.

Geraldine shook her head and was about to refuse when Charity encouraged her with a look. "Such as a man giving up his money, his lands and title just to have the woman he loves."