7. Realization Stikes

:::Charity:::

"Charity?" I was pulled from my dream about a tall, dark stranger by the pleading in my sister's voice. Geri was already dressed and ready for the day in a light blue gown that gave her a soft kind of radiance. I smiled and sat up, realizing that I'd gone to Geri's rooms instead of my own. My look turned to one of bewilderment and amazement, last night had not been a dream.

Geri was watching me closely and I was distressed to find an air of melancholy hung around my normally jovial sister. I sobered instantly and pulled her into a hug. "What's wrong Geri?" I asked desperately.

Geri hugged me dutifully and smiled with a little of her old spirit when she looked once more at me. "Nothing, Chari, I just missed you. I think that is the most terrible part in this."

I laughed. "A few months and you won't remember you have a sister in the face of your great love." Geri smiled but looked unconvinced. "What wonderful activities are to entertain you this morning?"

"I don't know but whatever it is, I shall be happy." She said complacently as she grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

I didn't want to upset her but I felt I had to ask, "What happened last night?"

Geri shrugged her shoulders and looked sadly at me. "Dinner was pleasant, if slightly boring and after that we spent time in the drawing room. Lady Edith and Amelia talking so much it was hard to think for myself."

"Waverly told me that Lord Kent wasn't at dinner." I sneered, disgusted. "If you are leaving that out just to spare him you are wasting your time."

Geri laughed like herself for the first time that morning and watched me for a moment. "I hardly noticed his absence." I locked eyes with her and Geri finally relented, "I was confused and upset but by the time I went to bed I was feeling much better. What did you do last night?"

My mind flashed back to the night before and grimaced as I remembered the dishes and then the deliberately spilled stew, I had made and enemy already. Then the scene with the handsome devil played in my mind. I couldn't bring myself to trouble Geri with the details of my servitude so instead I told her of the handsome devil.

As I told the story I realized that I let him kiss me without even knowing his name. I finished and then looked at my sisters shocked face. I blushed and looked away, "Perhaps we should keep this to ourselves?"

Geri laughed after a moment and said, "Poor Waverly!"

I joined her laugh and thought about my handsome devil again. "I should not like to meet him again."

Geri looked shocked, "But why?"

"Because everything seemed perfect and to meet him again would ruin the magic of my first kiss." I explained sincerely, "Now I will be perfectly at east to live an unremarkable life. I have been tempted by the devil and survived with my soul intact."

Geri smiled, unconvinced. "What did he look like?"

I frowned. "I can't really recall, it was his eye that captivated me. Either way, I should go changed and prepare for another day." I exited my sister rooms and ran quickly down to my own. I washed and changed quickly, not really caring what I put on. As I left my room I was stopped by a young man.

"Excuse me, Miss?" He asked. "Lady Amelia asked that your Lady meet her breakfast in the garden." He bowed and walked quickly away.

I rushed back to Geri's rooms and found her sitting peacefully reading in a comfortable chair. "It appears you've been invited to dine in the garden by Lady Amelia." I said when the door had shut.