15. Seeing through his confession

:::Charity:::

I pushed my uneaten food away, too sore to eat. Once I left the library this morning, Mr. Rivers instructed me I was to wash and dust every surface in the servant's quarters. My hands ached so terribly that I couldn't hold the spoon properly anyway. Geri would already be asleep, assuming that I had lost myself to the beauty of the garden. I sighed as I rose and walked to the garden door. I would need the serenity of the warm summer night to calm me enough for sleep. I slipped quickly through the door, knowing if Mr. Rivers found out about my nocturnal wandering he would find a way to stop me.

My last few nights without my stalker were blissful and managed to cheer me enough to make bearing the day possible. I breathed in the air and walked calmly along the paths I had gotten used to. I ran my fingers along the flowers and smiled. I had a favorite spot that I'd spent several nights in peace. It was some ways into the dense maze or rose bushes and hedgerow, but it was far enough away to be secluded and quiet. The only noise that permeated the place was what little noise a yet undiscovered fountain made. It wasn't a specific area, just a bench that allowed me to lean backward and watch the stars. 

I found it easily and let the summer wind take my mind with it across the world. Geri knew Kent did not wish as she did for this marriage and that knowledge alone should have sent my sister running, but for whatever reason, Geri was determined to wait it out. Therefore I would as well, no matter what Mr. Rivers demands of me. I sighed and opened my eyes. 

I started when I realized Kent was sitting next to me, quietly observing the stars. I crossed my arms over my chest and turned my attention skyward. Perhaps it was just a coincidence that brought us together. I sighed again, this time in annoyance as my relaxed mood drained slowly away to be replaced by tension. I stood to leave and was stopped by a hand on my arm.

"Don't let me ruin your good mood." Kent said, letting my arm go and tapping the seat I had just vacated. "Geraldine likes to spend too much time inside." He observed quietly.

I sat down slowly, not trusting him despite his friendly tone. I had not given a second thought to our exchange a few nights ago until this moment and I blushed crimson when I remembered his gentle kiss on the side of my neck that had so enraged me. "Geri is fond of reading and dreaming and finds that they are both easier done indoors."

Kent smile, no doubt at my icy tone, but continued in his nonchalant way. "I have never found it difficult to both read and dream outside, if I'm inclined to do either."

I laughed as I tried to picture his long frame resting under a tree with a book propped open on his face. "Maybe," I conceded, "but I can't imagine that you are inclined as often as Geri."

Kent smiled once more and turned his attention to the sky. "But that still does not answer whether my Lady can read outside."

I sighed and leaned back to get a better view of the sky and stars, at least he was interested in Geri which made the telling of this tale easier. "Many years ago when Geri and I were nearly ten, she would follow me outside with her books while I tended the garden or tried to catch frogs in our pond. She did this every day for an entire summer." I laughed at the memory and tired to continue without bursting into giggles every other word. I was moderately successful. "One day I forgot that she was with me and she fell asleep dreaming about a prince so some other nonsense and when she finally awoke and make it home, she was as red as a tomato and refused to read outside at length again." I finished on a strong note and gave into the giggles that came with retelling of the story.

I felt Kent sit up but I didn't open my eyes. "You are intoxicating when you laugh that way." I opened my eyes and groaned. "You are supposed to ask me in which why I find your laughter so alluring."