61. A devil never apologizes

:::Kent:::

I walked silently through the darkened halls as I followed her. I couldn't tell if she knew it was me, didn't hear someone behind her or didn't care. I held a small roll wrapped in a cloth in one hand, I was bringing it to her when I caught sight of her leaving the room. Charity moved so silently it was a struggle to mimic her movements. I don't know why I didn't call out to her. It was a mixture of me knowing she was safe because I was right there and understanding that she was seeking her refuge in solitude. 

I knew I needed to speak to her and in private, I'd seen Emily pounce on her this afternoon and I wanted to make sure she was okay. She disappeared for the afternoon and ate nothing at dinner. I stifled a growl as my mind replayed the interaction between Charity and Kesler under the table. I managed to ignore everything about my dinner demon, from what she said to what she did. 

Charity did not fare as well. I could see the slope of her shoulders as the night continued. I wanted nothing more than to be given a chance to wipe that man from existence but first I would secure my angel. Charity finally found an exit and slipped into the night. I followed closely behind but stayed in the shadow of the doorway. We were on the front of the house which boasted nothing more than a flat lawn, and apparently closer to the building, a few benches to sit at. 

Charity was sitting on one now with her head back as she examined the stars. she was wearing a light pink dress, no doubt given to her by Edith, there was something about the design that gave it away. I could find only one fault to Charity looking as beautiful as she did and that was that every other person, mostly the men, noticed as well. 

I watched her in silence for a few minutes. I felt hesitancy. What if Emily told her of our past and Charity believed me less for it? I shook the thought from my head and smiled wickedly as I finally broke my silence. "Once again I am the devil that happened upon a sleeping angel."

I felt guilty when Charity jumped a little and looked over to my shadow. But she smiled and replied, "Tonight, however, I shall be just as much of a devil as you. I am tired of being an angel." 

I laughed and stepped forward to sit next to her on the bench. "A devil or an angel matter's little to me, either would be just as amusing."

"Geri thinks my father will marry Mrs. FitzPatrick." She said changing the subject. 

I silently cursed Emily and even myself for forgetting I had only reinstated my flirtation in my mind. I would have to ease her in to it. "Is that something Geraldine doesn't want? As I understand it, it should only effect you financially."

She graced me with a look of annoyance that turned her silver eyes molten. "There is much more than economic value that will change. I don't understand why Geri is so upset by the idea." Charity confessed and then she smiled. "It is odd to think my family will grow when it has always been just the three of us." 

I relaxed against the wall and smiled, Charity may rebuke my advances but it seemed I was at least her friend now. "I agree." I said laughing. "I couldn't imagine Preston remarrying and having another child if something should happen to my mother."

Charity laughed and relaxed against the wall as well. "Maybe he can marry Ursula and she can have a permanent hand in your life."

I grimaced but ignored her comment. "Is Geraldine afraid a new marriage will dishonor her mother's memory?" 

Charity shrugged. "Bastion and Violet had a loveless marriage and Geri is altogether too fond of the idea of love to discourage that. I think she is afraid of change."

Charity's stomach rumbled loudly in the silence that followed and I handed the packaged dinner roll to her. "I was bringing this to you when I caught you sneaking about."