73. Gone

:::Kent:::

I paced angrily in my room, unable to sleep for the second night in a row. The pain of Charity's lack of faith still stung deeply even as I realized I couldn't push her completely away. I had no desire to waste my time trying to convince her of my sincerity. I couldn't even abide her presence. I couldn't stand the need that was still so real within me to look beyond my pain and comfort her.

I growled at the knock that interrupted my thoughts. Amelia opened the door, accepting my snarl as invitation to enter the room. "You look ghastly." She remarked with a secretive smile on her face.

"I have no interest in your opinion on the matter." I snapped warningly.

"Oohhoh, is that because I don't have golden blonde hair and impeccable skin?" She asked with a giggle. "Come on, Kent, what happened to your exuberant smile of a few days ago?" 

"It died." I said flatly as I watched her through the narrow slits of my lids. "What did you bother me for?"

Amelia laughed and hugged my unwilling for briefly. "Father asked me to summon you."

"Tell him I said no."

Amelia laughed again, "He said you'd say that but I'm afraid I must insist."

My brow rose in annoyance as I watched her face. If Preston believed sending Amelia would tame my anger he was about to find out he was wrong. "He can do very little to make me," I drawled as I found a chair and sat heavily down, stretching and making myself comfortable. "He has already taken every pleasure and threatened my future as his son." I closed my eyes as I accepted my fate. "Tell him I said no." I repeated.

I kept my eyes closed until I heard Amelia leave. Preston could take nothing from me. I laughed at the fear of losing my title and income I'd felt at the beginning of the summer. That was the worst situation I could envision. Now I was faced with a pain so crippling not even being disowned could compare. A pair of hurt filled silver eyes haunted my mind. I rose once again to my feet as I fought the urge to march to her room and demand she accept me. 

Just knowing she was so close, in this house with me, made a physical ache grow in my chest. My heart called to be near her even if it broke my spirit to see how little she believed in me. I raked my hand through my already disheveled hair and laughed ominously. How can something that is supposed to be delightful be so devastating?

I heart footsteps coming toward my door and I braced myself for the fury of my father's temper. There wasn't even a knock I could ignore before the door slammed open. I turned bored eyes on my mother and smirked at her angry face. "Have you been sent to fetch me as well?" I mocked. 

Edi stepped into my room and didn't speak as she reached up and pinched my ear as hard as she could. "You are coming with me, young man." She said evenly as she led me from the room by my ear.

"Fine!" I yelled indignantly as I stood to my full height, yanking her hand off of me. "Fine, I will see him."

"Good," Edi said as she wrapped her arm in mine and continued to march us forward. 

The halls were empty in the late morning and I enjoyed the silence of the place. Silence meant I could be left alone. Brandan was annoying beyond measure with his demands that I declare myself to Geraldine. Who was a conundrum as well because her company meant being excruciatingly close to Charity. Silence was much better than that.

Preston sat on the other side of his desk, his eyes sharp and waiting for me. I wasn't sure exactly how I made him angry this time but I knew from experience this was going to be good. "Please shut the door dear," Preston said. Edi did as Preston asked and walked around the desk to sit on the arm of his chair. "Kent, please?" He indicated the free chairs.