37. Confrontation

:::Kent:::

I shook with uncontrollable fury as paced in the small space behind my father's desk. My eyes snapped to the door in abhorrence as I carefully avoided all else in the room. It had been at least five minutes since I sent my mother to fetch Charity. I winced when there was no movement and resumed my pacing. I could not, in my great anger, address the other two occupants in the room.

The scene from the night before filled my vision for what felt like the thousandth time. Charity's eyes large with terror as she pulled so strongly against my grip. Her voice broken as she plead with me to spare her just that night. I stopped pacing and gripped the back of Preston's chair, swaying slightly on my feet. My anger had afforded me no sleep as I prowled outside of Geraldine's door for the remainder of the night. 

Charity's words once more filled me with a rage so acute my vision went black. I shook my head to clear it, if Rivers had any hope of leaving this room alive I would need all of my good sense. I thought back to the first time I had noted the innate grace missing from Charity and I scowled, just now realizing the probable cause.

I looked darkly at him wishing, not for the first time, that I could strap a rock to his chest and toss him into his name sake. He matched my hatred and I knew there would be no regret on my part of his dismissal. 

The door opened finally and I looked up to see Edith enter reluctantly. Her face was marred by concern and curiosity, I had not had the heart to tell her of the horrors committed under her watch when I requested her help early this morning. She came around the desk to stand next to me. I waited anxiously until Charity finally came through the open door. Geraldine followed right after, desperately grabbing her maid's hand. My eyes slid over her and locked onto Charity's face. In the light of the morning sun I saw how truly tired and worn she was. Gone was the vibrant woman who dared fling insults at me and in her stead was a woman with dark circles under her eyes and a wariness in her body. The crescent shaped cut on her right cheek stood out more strongly in her ashen face. Her eyes were terror filled and large in her small, white face. She moved with such evident pain that I again wanted to jump across the desk and hit Rivers so hard his teeth fell out. The part of my mind that hadn't had a decent fight since my forced imprisonment jumped to the foreground, demanding blood for blood. I wrestled with better judgement until I was in firm control. 

I tore my gaze from Charity and scowled down at Rivers. "Get up!" I growled. Rivers hesitated long enough to make me step forward. Fear flashed momentarily in his eyes as he made a great show of rising to his feet. When he turned and faced Charity, she took in an involuntary gasp, her eyes searching mine. I indicated the empty chair, "Please sit." Charity did not move as she continued to search my face. Geraldine stepped forward and took the offered seat. 

I nodded once at her and bent my head to think. Charity has offered no direct proof of Rivers guilt but I knew without a doubt he had struck her. But I needed to proceed with caution. "Kent," Edith asked into the silence, "what is this about?"

I heard Rivers snort and my head shot up to see Charity edge slowly away from the older man. Her innocent action made caution a fleeing notion as I barked angrily, "Rivers." I turned my cold gaze on him and had to fight the urge to smile at the fear that gripped him. "Be so kind as to inform my mother how you have been treating this girl since her arrival as a guest?" I had to assume that she'd been put to work since coming here, but for his sake I hoped I was wrong. 

Rivers squared his shoulders and took a step forward. "I have done as I was bade." He said defiantly. 

"By whom?" I asked disbelieving.

"The mistress of the house, your mother."

"I gave no such orders regarding this girl," Edith said bewildered.