42. Orange or Pink?

:::Charity:::

We sat trapped by the weather in the library. I stood by the window staring longingly at the grey haze of rain that hid the beauty of the garden. I turned back to the room and tried to wipe the gloom from my face when I noticed Amelia watching me closely. She was the first of the family, other than Edi, I'd seen since Geri's announcement the morning before. Her cold and aloof manner didn't make me feel confidence in Edi's assurance. I smiled reluctantly and she looked suddenly away as if just realizing I'd caught her.

I sighed as my eyes wandered to my sister. She was talking quietly with Edi, I knew from the quick glances she was talking about me. Probably discussing the all-important selection of cloth and color for my miraculous ball gown that the old crone would have to throw together. There wasn't enough time to do it properly, or so she'd loudly cried every minute, so I shouldn't expect a miracle. I sighed with a mixture of annoyance and resignation. I still felt nowhere even strong enough to face Ursula in her own home, but I would do as Edi said and draw my courage from Geri. I would finish this battled with a triumphant win.

I walked away from the window and sat in the chair on Geri's free side. She looked at me once and grabbed my hand for assurance. "What do you think, Chari? Blue or green?"

I laughed at her eager face. "I think it wouldn't matter if you picked orange."

"Orange for what?" Brandan asked as he followed Kent into the room. Kent didn't look at me as he took his seat at the game board. Brandan came to the middle of the room and sat across the small circle from me.

I smiled warmly at him and he returned the gesture. "Geri and Edi are discussing the crucial color chose of my ball gown."

"That's right," Kent said from across the room, "you were visited by the great had herself yesterday. What did you discover?" 

I laughed and answered honestly. "That I like her company almost as much as you do." Geri and Brandan laughed and I fought a losing battle as I continued, "I thought you exaggerated but the woman seems to take pleasure in jabbing unsuspecting flesh."

"And you care not what color they put you in?" Brandan asked a little breathlessly.

"Not at all." I smiled, unrepentant. I heard the door open and the room turned cold looks at the intruder. Ursula entered alone and seemed to sense the hostility emanating from everyone else. She looked defiantly at me and held her head high as she stepped around the furniture to her seat.

"Grandmother," Geri said happily as the older woman sat stiffly across from her.

"Yes, Geraldine?" Ursula asked, she didn't even try to disguise the displeasure in her voice. 

Geri's smile grew at he sound of annoyance and continued even more animatedly. "We are trying to determine the perfect color for Chari's ball gown but she refuses to care. What do you think?"

Ursula turned angry eyes on me but simply shrugged. "You still intend to invade my house?"

"Of course!" I said feigning exuberance. "It isn't often I receive and offer from such a..." I paused for effect, pretending to contemplate, "distinguished family."

Ursula snorted dismissively and turned her attention to Amelia with an indulgent smile. "It is a good thing Geraldine is spoken for, that leaves room for you to be the prettiest, more sough after woman at the dance."

Amelia looked conflicted as she watched Ursula carefully. After a moment her eyes strayed from Ursula to her mother, her brother and then finally landed on me. She smiled brilliantly at me and winked before addressing Ursula once more. "Only if we put Charity in orange as she suggested. If," here she turned deliberately away from Ursula to her mother, "we put her in, say a grey blue she'll be prettier than anyone else at the event, maybe she'll find a husband?"