10. Jealousy

:::Kent:::

I walked slowly up the hill with Geraldine. She was lovely in her sun dress. With her easy smiles and laughing blue eyes, I could see why my entire family was smitten with her. Under different circumstances I might have found her equally irresistible. My mood darkened for a moment, these were not different circumstances and I would hold strong to myself. We were the first to reach the top and I turned to watch the others. Bastion and my mother walked together, talking quietly. I got the impression that they've known each other for many years and were simply relaying the events of the past ten years or so. But my mother was like that with anyone, I conceded, she treated everyone with an open, easy and accepting nature. 

I was less certain of Bastion, I had only met the man this morning. I sighed and acknowledged Brandan and Amelia with a nod when my attention was captured by a loud laugh emanating from the final pair ascending the hill. Charity walked with a young man who was apparently in the employ of Bastion. A grain of jealousy grew within me. I scoffed at it but I could not help but watch them as they climbed the hill together. Charity was telling the young man something uproariously amusing.

With an effort, I turned stiffly from them to face my mother who had finally crested the hill. "It's a pity your father couldn't join us today, it is such a lovely afternoon."

I sneered and asked scornfully, "And leave the comfort of his study? Never!"

Edith looked annoyed at my tone but ignored me. Instead she turned to Geraldine, "There's a lovely gazebo just over there," she pointed to the open pavilion on the edge of the lake, "perhaps you'd like to read in there?"

I looked down at Geraldine's hand, I was only vaguely surprised that I had not noticed she'd carried a book with her. Geraldine smiled and the two women walked away. Bastion and I waited in silence as Brandan reached us, Amelia split away with a shy smile to join our mother.

"This lake offers the best fishing in these parts," Brandan said conversationally. 

Bastion looked as if he'd been surprised out of his thoughts. He smiled and looked around. "I imagine it is not often disturbed, so we shall have a fruitful afternoon."

Brandan laughed and nodded, "That we shall, sir."

Bastion smiled but turned his attention to the last two of the small party who walked slowly toward us. Charity would not look at me but I knew by the way she avoided me that she was aware of me the whole time. I smirked as I turned my attention back to Bastion.

The older man smiled at Charity and the boy. "Waverly take that wherever Master Kent demands," Bastion pointed to the bundle of equipment he carried. Then he reached down and took the large picnic basket from Charity. "If it pleases the lady," he said with a smile on his face as he held his arm out for her.

Charity laughed unconsciously and took his arm and the two walked away. "Sir?" The boy asked, he held the bundle slightly away from himself. I grunted and pointed to the lake behind me. The boy looked confused but didn't ask again as he took off.

Brandan watched me closely with a frown on his face. "What has vexed you now?"

I didn't take my eyes off Bastion and Charity as they walked quietly together. "What do you make of that?" I had sensed hesitancy when Charity was denying me but I never suspected it was because of another man. 

Brand shrugged as he looked at them. "Geraldine told me the girl has been a part of their household since her mother, Lady Violet or something, died when she was five."

"And how long ago was that?" I asked, knowing Brandan would have thought to ask such a trivial question.

"A little more than fifteen years ago. She said the girl-"