17. A quiet moment in the sunlight

:::Charity:::

I waited on the garden bench warming my face in the summer sun. Geri promised she would be right back and that we'd spend the day together. I sighed contentedly as I felt someone sit next to me. I didn't have to open my eyes to know who it was. "Hello Bada," I said smiling openly at him without looking. There was a familiarity about his aura that let me know it was him.

"Good morning Chicken," he said affectionately. "Are you accompanying us to the lake?"

I opened my eyes in shock and shook my head. "Geri said we could spend the day together."

Bastion laughed and looked at me. "I was just told by Kent that we'd be heading to the lake in a moments time."

I reached between us and grabbed his hand. "I miss you." I said quietly. I had barely seen him since we arrived and this very separation made me he was more than my father, he was my friend. 

He leaned over and kissed the top of my head. "I miss you too, Chicken." I sighed happily and leaned into his strength, stealing some for myself. "I've been spending hours going over every detail about your sister's wedding contract, it's nice to see the sun, and not through a window." I could hear the smile in his voice as he spoke. "Geri says you spend so much time in the garden that you could probably plant one exactly the same back home."

I took a moment to control my voice so he would not detect how deeply sad I was at this moment. "Indeed, I wander these path's aimlessly constantly wondering what plants Lady Edith has and where they come from. It'd been nice to talk to her about it, but what time does a great lady have for someone like me?" I asked jokingly.

Bastion laughed and kissed the top of my head again. "Edi is not such a great lady that she can't be pulled into a passion about gardening. You are very much like her in that regard."

I laughed and sat up, breaking the contact. "That doesn't do her justice, I could never create something this beautiful."

He squeezed my hand and smiled. "Maybe, but I was referring to your passions. How they take you from a kind and considerate young woman to a snarling beast disguised as a young woman with the proper provocation."

I laughed and shrugged. "I can't help that."

"Nor would I ever want you to."

I heard a throat clear but I ignored the loathsome sound and let my father address Mr. Rivers. "If it pleases my Lord," Mr. Rivers said icily, "I have brought the fishing equipment as requested."

I watched as the frown creased Bastion's brow at the man's cold demeanor. "Set it wherever and I will make certain it travels with us."

I smiled as I watched Bastion handle the servant as any well-respected man should. "But Lord Bastion, you couldn't possibly endanger yourself so by carrying such a bundle!" I said over dramatically, looking scandalized at my father. "Surely you will let me haul this for you?"

Bastion tried to contain his mirth as he watched me in mock concern. "I have not considered any harm that might come my way." He stroked his chin for a moment in thought. "You must carry this bundle for me. I'm feeling a bit weak this afternoon."

Bastion and I turned from each other to regard Mr. Rivers expectantly. He was watching us in disgust and simply dropped the bundle on the the ground and walked away. I waited until he disappeared before I joined my father's laughter. I would surely pay for that in the next few days but the look on his face was worth anything he could throw at me. 

"I take it we don't like him?" Bastion asked, displaying the perfect amount of disinterest and concern to lure me into a trap of confessing everything I'd suffered through in the last days.

I sighed and shrugged my shoulders. Geri's happiness depended on me keeping my mouth shut and learning to deal as best I could. "He has a poor attitude whenever I see him. I thought to give him a laugh."

Bastion looked dubiously at me and I smiled in the face of my lie. "And how often is that?"

"Not often enough to worry about." I tried again.

Geri reemerged at that moment, smiling from ear to ear. In her hand she carried another book, one full of love and nonsense I assumed. She bounded up to us and claimed the seat on my other side. "Chari gets to spend the afternoon with us." She said jubilantly. 

"She could spend every afternoon with us if she chose." Bastion said thoughtfully.

"You know I can't do that," I was exasperated by this argument. "I would not be making this choice if it weren't absolutely necessary. So just trust me, please?" I squeezed both of their hands reassuringly. "It is not easy for me either, but when Geri gets her happy ending we can tell them everything."