5. The lord has crossed a line

:::Charity:::

It took me nearly an hour to get Geri to smile without care or worry. Every minute of the hour ticked by with an acute awareness growing in my heart. I hated this man, more than I'd ever hated a complete stranger before. No one had ever made Geri doubt herself as he did. Even Ursula's cool disdain had not caused such hesitancy as Kent's absence that afternoon.

I could not comprehend why it mattered so much, why this afternoon was any different than any other on which Geri could meet his man, but this I kept to myself. In the end it didn't matter why Geri looked as if someone had cast a shadow on her heart. The only that mattered was to be certain it never happened again.

"He'll be at dinner, I'm sure of it." I said confidently.

Geri smiled and nodded, her light spirit finally returned. "Yes, I should like to think so."

"Do you have any plans for after dinner that I should be aware of? I'm not to join you for dinner but maybe after?" I wanted to give Geri every option but she shook her head. I sighed. "I'll not ask you, because I know you will say no, but I will talk with Kent and make sure he understands not to neglect you so in the future."

Geri smiled and sighed. "I won't say no because I know you will do it anyway." My smiled was unrepentant. "But he is the future Earl and we don't know what sort of man he is. He could take being yelled at by a mere servant very badly." Geri looked too serious again for my liking.

"If that be the case," I said lightly, "he better hope he is the perfect gentlemen at every moment for the rest of eternity or he will get used to it. I doubt he has many people telling him no."

Geri laughed, "Even so, be cautious, for me?"

I wanted to tear this man's head off and make him be whatever Geri wanted but I considered, because I would not lie to my sister. "I will only caution him to the degree of the offense."

Geri was no fooled but she knew that was the best she would get out of me. "I do fear for him. You look so timid and fey-like and I know that conceals a vicious temper."

I smirked and nodded. "Only when it is required, otherwise I shall be perfectly invisible."

Geri smiled and stood up. "It is very different here than I expected." She observed.

I stayed in my seat, "How so?"

"At home we spent nearly all of our time together but I have been told that I'll only require your attention for short periods of time. You'll have the afternoons and evenings free." Geri walked over to the wardrobe I indicated and opened it.

"I could still be with you, couldn't I?" I asked. I didn't like the idea of idle time in a place so foreign.

"I do not think so." Geri said as she looked through her gowns. "As far as they know you are simply my servant and they can't fathom why I could crave your company. I think we will have to work the idea in slowly."

Geri was too good of a person to say I told you so, but I could feel it. "How will we do that?"

Geri sighed discontentedly as she picked an evening dress out. "I don't know. Lady Edith didn't realize I would be bringing anyone with me. I understood her to mean that you can help with whatever pampering I require." Geri smiled at me and then continued. "Then you can keep me company in the mornings and the occasional evening, depending on what activities they have planned."

I scowled and harrumphed. "Throw the lot of them to the dogs."

Geri laughed. "You'll have the freedom you require."