56. Emily

:::Kent:::

I growled as I rubbed the bruised flesh that matched my bruised pride. I had under estimated what things my hosts could have an effect on. I'd been given, I was sure, the most ill-tempered, under trained horse ever considered tamed. The beast threw me four times before I gave up the struggle and limped back. Brandan joined me out of solidarity. The morning was ruined and I'd been sulking about since then. 

I was told we'd meet once more in the west drawing room when both men and women had concluded their morning activities. I scowled again at the empty, poorly decorated room as I waited for Brandan to return. I heard the door unlatch and I turned toward the sound expecting Brandan and instead being greeted by the group of women. I smiled stiffly and moved away to leave them room to enter. 

I watched the door and saw Amelia and Edi walk through. Amelia talked happily but my mother's face was etched in fear. The very visage of panic as she walked purposely toward me. My mind immediately jumped to Charity but if that were the case Amelia would be worried as well. 

My attention was grabbed away from my mother as Geraldine and Charity walked through the door, their arms locked together. Charity wore a light pink dress that added a rosiness to her cheeks and made the rest of her skin glow. Her lovely hair was pulled back and tamed only slightly. She was breathtaking and she looked up with those wonderful silver eyes and met my gaze before her face broke into a smile that's beauty wiped away all traces of pain from my body. She started to walk to me when Edi finally reached me.

"Kent," my mother said earnestly.

I could be distracted for only a moment as I glanced at my mother's face. She was still just as worried but I was under the impression nothing could truly bother me if I get to speak to my angel. "Yes?" I asked as my eyes found Charity again.

I did not hear the words of warning that came out of her mouth, I didn't even catch a glimpse of my angel. My eyes were drawn instead to a walking nightmare. I stared for several seconds as voices around me turned to buzzing in my ears and I wasn't sure if I lived or had gone straight to hell. I blinked and she was still there. the snake of a woman scanned the room and locked eyes with me. She smiled and sauntered toward me. 

I still could not grasp the enormity of the situation as Emily came to a stop before me and my mother. She smiled as if this were a happy reunion but before her mouth could speak lies my mother's voice broke through the barrier and with it every other noise so I was deafened for a moment. 

Emily smiled coyly at whatever Edi said and turned her gaze on me. "You look as if you'd seen a ghost." She said playfully.

I was aghast at her gall to waltz up to me after eleven years and pretend like she hadn't tried to extort money from my father for making me love her. I could think of nothing scathing enough to express myself and so the conversation died.

She looked exactly as I remembered her with long flaxen hair and big brown eyes. Her body had aged but not so much as I would have thought, all things considered. I kicked myself for staring but I was shocked at how I could ever have found her attractive. 

"How have you been?" She asked, her tone still too affectionate considering our past.

Edi seized her moment and spoke with ice in her tone. "I'm surprised the Countess let your kind in here."

Emily's face broke into a knowing smile as she leaned closer as if to share a secret. "You'd be surprised who they invite to stay in their home." She smiled and looked over her shoulder. "Did you know we have a bastard amongst us? Dressing as our equal." She laughed and indicated Charity. From the corner of my eye I saw the color drain from my mother's face as Emily continued. "She is very pretty for a bastard. She'd probably excel in my line of work." Again another laugh and Emily faced us again. 

Still my mind was like unshaped clay and I could think of nothing to say. Edi was rendered speechless at the casual cruelty with which Charity was being referred to.

Emily smiled as her look turned curious. "Did you know?" What should have been a flirtatious giggle escaped her lips but hit my ears like the baying of hounds. I watched Charity for a moment, thankful Geraldine had been detained by her grandmother to halt their progress across the room. "Apparently," Emily continued, "she is some relation of the Countess' that she couldn't get rid of. Ursula," Emily seemed very pleased with herself for being on a first name basis with a Countess, "says the poor girl invites herself to all Ursula's gatherings and she just can't seem to get rid of her." Emily's gaze fell back on Charity. "We are to make her feel unwelcome."

I snorted in disgust at her. My eyes found Charity again and I almost cursed when I realized she and Geraldine were headed in our direction. She smiled softly when our eyes met and I knew that smile was for me alone. She had suffered enough, I would not be a part of bringing her more pain. Something inside of me filled and I felt renewed, reborn. I had not realized until it happened that it was something my soul had been craving for weeks. She gave me purpose outside of myself and I knew in that moment I would do anything to keep my angel happy and safe. She made me a better man, I was a Kent that was greater than the man I was just a moment before. All for the love of this fiery angel. I had to keep her away from this vicious woman.

I grabbed Emily by her arm and dragged her from the room. I ignored the shocked looks from the guests but I gave Charity a reassuring smile as I passed her. When we were alone in the hallway I released Emily and set her by the wall. 

"You never forget how to get a woman's attention." Emily purred as she stepped toward me.

I backed away from her trying to contain my anger and disgust. "Why are you here?" I asked, my voice barely controlled. Between Ursula, Emily and Kesler I wanted to take Charity away from this place even if she fought me the whole way. I smiled wickedly to myself, especially if she fought me the whole way, I thought as an image of her angry face flashed in my mind.

"Whatever you are thinking," Emily whispered too intimately as she stepped closer, using my distraction against me, "I can make happen."

I stepped back and scowled. "What I was thinking has absolutely nothing to do with you." I snapped. "I do not care why you are here but whatever it is, I am not interested, neither are my parents."

Emily's face registered shock and pain but she stepped closer to me and ran her hands down my chest and back up again. "I'm sorry about that. And that's not why I'm here. I realized that it was love I felt but I was young and scared and stuck to the plan because I was afraid you wouldn't really want me."

I laughed and moved around her wondering how I could have ever found her mannerisms alluring. "I don't want you and I never will gain. Put your schemes to rest and leave this place."

"I do love you and I will have you for my own again." I heard Emily mutter as I walked away.

I avoided the drawing room and all of the explanations I would be asked to provide. For the moment I would leave Charity in the capable hands of my mother. I needed to get away from the overcrowded room and think. It can't have been a coincidence that Emily was here and I had to figure out her motivations before she put her plan into action. I would not let her get the best of me again nor would I allow her to hurt those I cared about.

A Wager Of The Heartजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें