36. Escape

:::Charity:::

My body quaked with revulsion, fear and hunger as I heard the door shut and lock behind me. I looked out of the small window, surprised to see the sky was not fully dark yet. I shuttered again and wrapped my arms around myself. I sank to the floor, bent in on myself in an attempt to stop the tremor that I could feel on the periphery of my conscious. 

"Do not worry, my heart," Kesler whispered through the closed door, his voice too intimate as I scooted away from the door. "I will be back soon with Mr. Rivers so he may assign you another duty and you can continue your toil to win my affections."

I shuddered again and looked around. I was in the same space as before but I could not simply demand sleep and wait for the morning. I loved Geri more than anything but I would not endure another minute of Kesler's attentions. I spit into the corner of the room and sat up a little.

I pressed my ear to the wood of the door and listened. I could hear the shuffling of boots as people walked in a single direction. I knew they would be on their way to dinner and that afforded me a little more time. I looked around the room again and saw that one of the buckets had splintered and broken away from the iron rings that held it together. 

I spent a careful five minutes removing a splinter of wood from the side of the bucket. Once free, I broke it until it was the perfect size. I listened at the door again, the sound of feet still passed me, but number of people had decreased. I shoved the broken piece of wood into the keyhole and pushed until it would go no further. I winced and looked down at my abused hands and noted the new wounds that bled slowly were not the worst I had endured that day. 

I looked up at the window, it was just large enough that I could slip through. If I could get up there. I grabbed one of the thick handled brooms and wedged it between the door and the wall. The room was small enough that the broom would lift me two feet into the air. I would have to pull myself the rest of the way up. 

I grimaced and squared my shoulders, I would do this no matter what. I stood with a foot on either side of the broom and used the small shelves along the side walls to brace myself as I slowly put first one, then the other food on the broom. I let go of the shelf and grabbed the windowsill. With the help of the broom I could get my head above the window, everything else would have to be strength. I wobbled a little as I shifted to open the window. I felt my perch shutter as I pushed the heavy glass pane aside. The broom scratched down the wall and landed with a deafening thud on the floor, me on top of it.

"What was that?" I heard Kesler's voice on the other side of the door and rose quickly to my feet, ignoring the soreness in my rear. "My tolerance will only last so long, my heart." He spoke as an exasperated parent. I could almost feel him press his whole body against the door as he whispered, "Beg me." My blood ran cold at the longing in his voice. 

I looked around frantically, knowing the jammed lock would only keep him for so long. I heard the jingle of keys as if harkening my doom. My eyes landed on the pile of buckets and baskets in the corner, with little options left I began to stack them under the window. "What's this?" Kesler demanded, slamming his fist on the door. I jumped and dropped the bucket in my hands at the sudden noise. The bucket clattered loudly on the floor. "Charity, what are you doing in there?" Kesler commanded, a little of his old temper returning.

I went back to work making a stack of the more sturdy containers. Kesler slammed his weight against the door. My movements took on a hurried, frantic air as my panic rose. Finally the stack was high enough I could reach the window at a comfortable distance and I scampered to the top. By now Kesler had called for help, his tone seething with rage as he continued to slam against the closed door.