11. Mr. Rivers takes a stance

:::Charity:::

It was early afternoon when we made our slow way back to the house. I was walking behind everyone else with Waverly. He smiled as I nudged him, it was a relief to be able to be myself without worry about who will say or do what. He met my gaze but his look was no longer one of admiration or love, he saw me as he always had, as an older sister once more. I was relieved to finally have that behind us. I believe I had Amelia to thank for that.

"She is rebellious." I remarked when I caught Waverly watching Amelia again. "There is hope for you yet."

He looked at me bashfully. "A fellow rebel recognized by the best of them?"

I laughed, "I am not a rebel."

Waverly, in turn, laughed in apparent disbelief. "I've never met anyone of your upbringing who talks back to a Countess and her family the way you do." He stated his case with a twinkle in his eye, amused as always by my exploits with the dragon. 

On the walk to the gazebo I had told Waverly some of the minor details of my last exchange with the dreadful woman. "I do not think under the circumstances Ursula counts as a person, let alone a Lady of gentle noble breeding."

Waverly snorted and drew the attention of Bastion. He smiled to see the two of us back to normal and turned his gaze back to Edi. "Even so, if you take your past with the Countess as an excuse for your behavior, what excuse do you have for your behavior toward Lord Kent?"

I gave a low chuckle that sounded dangerously like a growl to my ears. "He was being careless and hurting Geri."

Waverly sighed and remained quiet until we had all entered the house and were waiting in the entryway from the side door. "I know no one brave enough to do that more than once."

"You must acquaint yourself more with the world, Walter, before you make such a generalization." Kent said, coming over to us as the others slowly left the room.

I turned my cold gaze on him and didn't miss the irritation in his expression as he regarded my friend. "It's Waverly." I said, deliberately slow.

Kent smirked and still regarded him with cool disdain. "What kind of name is that?" 

I saw Waverly fidget and this annoyed me more than his cold tone. "It is his name." I asserted. I turned to Waverly and took the bundle from his arm, eager to let him escape. "Why don't you go and see if Bastion needs you?" Waverly looked at me thankfully and disappeared down the hall. I struggled to handle the two heavy bundles, I could see Kent watch me from the corner of my eye but he offered nothing but a mocking smile. "Leave Waverly alone."

Kent's look darkened again as he crossed his arms over his chest and looked down at me. "You are certainly free with the men of your house." He said with forced nonchalance. 

I laughed so hard I nearly dropped the food basket. "You're jealous." Kent stiffened at the notion but didn't deny it.

"Miss?" I heard Mr. Rivers say coolly from a few feet away. I had not seen him since the night before when I had dropped stew on his foot. I looked up defiantly and as expected, he was scowling down at me. "Fraternizing already?"

"That is enough Rivers." Kent reprimanded the man with the certainty of a lifetime of being obeyed. "I was just offering her help."

"No one requires your help." Mr. Rivers said venomously.

"Of course not, because you are so willing to offer aid where you are most needed." Kent took the fishing bundle and the food basket from me and deliberately handed them to Mr. Rivers. "I've business to attend to, if you'll excuse me?" Kent walked away, leaving me to stare after him in astonishment.