27. The cost of compassion

:::Kent:::

The summons came almost directly after lunch. I'd expected them sooner and was thus prepared as I walked leisurely toward my father. I had been summoned once again to his study, and while expected, I wasn't keen on seeking reprimand. I laughed darkly to myself as I walked slowly, the measures I went to annoy my father would have broken a lesser man. He had persistence and stubbornness in spade, I'd have to give him that. 

I stopped in front of his door and wiped all traces of humor from my face and replaced it with defiance. I was coming to him a disobedient child, to be treated as nothing more than annoyance and I would play the part gladly. 

I opened the door without knocking and found my mother perched on the edge of his massive desk. She sat with her arms around my father, his head resting lightly on her shoulder. I was shocked to see how old he looked and I lost some of my bravado.

"I must be getting back," Edith said kissing Preston and giving me a warning look before exiting the room and pulling the door shut behind her.

Preston and I stared at one another in the lengthening silence. For the first time I felt as if I was looking at the man, not the title he wore so well. The image vanished when he held up an expense report, his eyes darkening in annoyance. "Just what exactly am I providing for this widow?" He snapped into the silence of the room.

I looked around me as if to seek another person. "I'm sorry, what are we talking about?" I asked in confusion only barely concealing my smile as she face turned red in anger.

"Yesterday you were sent to clear out a property I own and instead you spew accusations at me and ride off without another word about it. I wish to know what you have cost me!"

"That is not how I remember it," I said wistfully, stepping further into the room. "But you are getting older so I shall forgive you this once." I enjoyed baiting him, more than I should have.

"Enough boy!" He snapped, trying and failing to contain his temper.

I smiled at him and nodded my head as I dropped into a chair across from him. "I think I remember now." I tapped my finger against my chin as I pretended to think. "You are referring to the woman with five children who have nowhere to go? The woman who you wanted thrown out and starved to save yourself the trouble of caring?" My voice was clipped as I finished and his face was tight with annoyance. 

"Yes." He snarled waving the paper in front of my face. "What have you cost me?"

I looked at the paper uninterested and shrugged. "A bit of ruthlessness, some chance people would think you have a heart for those under your protection."

Preston growled and slammed the offending paper down. "Tell me now, boy, or I'll-"

"You'll what?" I interrupted sarcastically. "Threaten to disinherit me? Confine me to this house? Remove from my grasp the pleasure of drink, women, fighting and cards? Come now, Preston, what punishment shall you level at me for this discovery of decency?" I snarled and continued, fearless of his decision. "How you must despise my kindness?"

Preston watched me in silence, his jaw tight and his eyes hard. "Tell me what your kindness has cost me." He said through gritted teeth.

I breathed out through my nose, the sound deceptively like a snort but not. "You have agreed to let them stay as long as they need. Baskets of food will be delivered weekly to their house from both the butchers and the bakers." I watched his shocked expression and smiled before I continued. "The tailor will provide them with efficient clothing. The youngest daughters of the baker will work as the cook and maid for a few hours each day and just last night Amelia helped me compose an advertisement for a governess." I finished finally, proud of myself.

"You involved your sister?" He ground out, sitting forward in his chair. 

I shrugged my shoulders unapologetically. "My education didn't include knowledge of such things."

Preston was quiet for a long time as he watched me. Finally he spoke, his tone unreadable. "And if I simply force them out?"

"That is within your power." I said dismissively. "But everyone I spoke with thinks you willing supported this plan and you would be going back on your word, at least to them." I smiled wickedly as I continued. "What is it you always told me? A man is only as strong as his word?"

Preston's anger shown clearly for the trap I had carefully laid out for him. "And why have you done this, boy? Is the woman to become your new mistress?" He asked darkly.

"No." I said firmly, Charity's face flashing before my eyes. "Call it compassion." I said flippantly.

"Compassion?" He boomed, staring incredulously at me. "You have compassion for nothing, least of all a widow woman you've never met."

I shrugged just as uncertain as Preston as to my motivations. "It is done." I said with finality.

"Am I to assume the thawing of your heart comes from the attentions of Lady Geraldine?" He asked, a knowing smile on his face.

I scoffed at him. "This has nothing to do with my heart," I denied vehemently, sitting swiftly forward. "Or the lack there of."

The smile fell from his face as he regarded me. "Your opinion of the girl may not have changed but neither has my proclamation. You will marry or you will have nothing."

"Whatever you say, Preston." I spoke with a detached voice.

He watched me closely, for a moment the fight left his eyes. It returned a second later with an intensity to belie his age. "Where am I to place my new Dockmaster?"

I smirked and shrugged, hoping to annoy him further with my lack of concern. "You could hope he's unmarried and put him in the house with her."

"Have some care boy!"

"It's of no concern to me."

Preston looked thoughtfully down at his sheets and riffled through them. "Go." He said after several minutes.

I rose to my feet but did not move. I waited, holding my breath as he continued to work, pretending to be oblivious to me. Finally he looked up, one bushy brow raised in question. "You'll let her stay?"

Preston watched me for a moment, contemplating. "Yes."

I smiled and walked from the room happy I had managed to keep my word.