43. The battle is won

:::Kent:::

I looked up from the book I held in my hands. I wasn't really reading but Brandan had disappeared without a word. Which left little enough for me to do in the late evening hours, aside from indulge in drink, which oddly didn't interest me at all. The small room was empty of everything but a few chairs and fire place. I rubbed my hand over my face and sighed. If I thought the Countess was at her worst when surrounded by her henchmen of sons, the last two days had proven me wrong. 

It angered me as she spoke so dismissively and rudely to Charity but then my angel had surprised me with you resilient strength. It was delightful to watch her smiling face deliver insults so cleverly the Countess usually stared at her empty-headed for several seconds until realization lit her face. The Countess seemed well versed in their verbal combat, so well in fact, it left no doubt to those who witnessed the exchanges that this battle had waged for years. It was almost like a battle of partners who knew each other so well that they could guess and dodge each other's moved without effort. If Charity were not the victim I might have relaxed and enjoyed the show. However, the continued attacks, whether worn and ragged, sent anger rippling through me. 

My verbal contributions, as rarely as they were offered, caused the focus of her aim to shift resolutely toward me. I answered her accusations as honestly as I had before and my anger grew as the Countess said such things in front of my sister and mother. I wasn't surprised that my mother seemed unaffected by these announcements. What surprised me was how quickly Charity defended me and drew the attention back to herself. I wasn't sure if I should be flattered or angry. 

No, it was much simpler to sit alone and pretend to read than risk a run in with the 'dragon', as I'd heard Charity call her. I laughed softly and laid my head on the back of the chair. I would not call Ursula a dragon, I would call her a demon, for even a dragon fights to protect what it holds dear. The Countess fought simply to cause destruction and strife.

There was a light knock on the door and I turned as it opened slowly. It could only be Amelia, I knew, because she was the only one who could find me no matter where I hid. I raised my brows in question as her head poked through the crack in the door. She smiled sheepishly and stepped fully into the room. "Kent." She stated as she watched me.

I felt a crooked grin on my face as I shut the book and sat up to greet her properly. "Amelia." She smiled and sat in the chair across from me. "Come to join me in exile?"

She giggled and shook her head. "Just after you left, father, Lord Bastion and a severe looking man came into the library and announced their arrival. Then everyone sort of dissolved into their own little groups. I listened for a while until the men started to ask to be excused. I grew bored and came to look for you."

I returned her smile and leaned back. "How'd Preston react to the demands of our guest?"

Amelia shrugged. "He refused to acknowledge her at first and concentrated on mother. When the Countess wouldn't cease, he excused himself. Said he'd be in his study for a while. He looked worn." Her voice was laced with concern and I wanted to reassure her.

"There's no need to worry, he's probably just tired and I wasn't there to yell at so he didn't want to lose his temper." I smiled wickedly as she looked incredulously at me. "Speaking of which," I said as I rose to my feet and yawned largely, "I better get that out of his system before he sits too long in his anger." I looked around the small room and then smiled down at my sister. "Enjoy the solitude while you still can."

Amelia leaned back and smiled as her eyes closed. I shook my head and chuckled as I left the room. Despite my words to the contrary, I didn't seek my father's counsel for the purpose of a scolding. I had business to discuss with him. Mainly the business of this impending house party. The more time I spent in the company of that woman, the more certain I became that attending her party was the last thing I wanted to do.