32.An old nightmare returns

:::Charity:::

My body ached tremendously as I pushed my uneaten food away from me. It was well past midnight and the large room was empty and dark, illuminated only by the scant moonlight that shone on the now sparkling white walls. I groaned again as I rose to my feet. Mr. Rivers had excused himself shortly after depositing the bowl of tasteless paste in front of me. He assumed I'd go to my own room after eating like a good little dog. Foolish man.

I snuck quickly and surely down the hall and into Geri's room. She was laying on her bed, her eyes open and staring at the ceiling. "It's late." She whispered into the gloom that surrounded us.

I smiled and crawled into her bed, it had been many years since we'd shared the same bed but it didn't seem to bother us. "I'm sorry." I whispered back, still unwilling to share the details of my forced servitude. "I spoke to father last night. It seems Ursula thinks I pushed you down the hill to stop you from going to her house."

Geri laughed and laid her head on my shoulder. "I'd forgotten about her great protests against me coming here and her even greater protests against Kent."

"However do you mean?" I asked, curious.

Geri sighed and her voice became even quieter, I would not have heard her words except that I watched her face. "They spent all afternoon bringing things up from Kent's past, hoping I would be offended enough to scatter."

I snorted and looked away. "And how did he handle their comments?"

Geri laughed lightly and squeezed my hand. "He denied nothing and even made them stop their prying from time to time with his honesty." She was quiet for a while and then she asked, "How did you spend your day?"

I was thankful for the darkness, knowing my face would have betrayed the lie I spoke. "I did much of nothing, the storm kept me inside and there was nothing to do but stare at the walls."

Geri giggled and turned so she could look at me. "I think I disappointed my grandmother today." 

I smiled as I turned to look at her as well. "Really? How?"

She laughed. "Because I'm more like you than she thought. She whispered this to me when no one was paying attention."

I guffawed as well, picturing Ursula's outrage. "What happened?"

Geri's look turned sheepish as she looked down but I could see her smile as she spoke. "Kesler had the nerve to demand discretion, mockingly of course, and reproach from Kent. I informed him that there was more than one person in the room who was benefiting from my discretion and that unless he wants to be honest with father he should be careful what he demands of others." She finished lamely. 

"Well, I'm proud of you." I said with sincerity.

"Is it going to be an early morning again?" She asked sweetly.

"Absolutely." I said with certainty, causing both of us to smile.

***

The following morning Geri was dressed and ready before Ursula arrived. The older woman stopped in the middle of the room and looked truly shocked to see me there. "Good morning grandmother." Geri said brightly as she stepped forward to greet the older woman. "Shall we go to the library while we wait for breakfast?"

Ursula tried to calm her scowl as she watched Geri. "Of course dear, of course." Ursula ignored me completely as she led Geri and her maid out of the room.

I wanted to call after her and expand upon my triumph but I knew, as any hardened warrior would, never to celebrate too early. I sank into one of the many plush chairs that occupied Geri's rooms and let my mind wander back to sleep. 

The sting of the switch across my hands woke me from my sleep and I blinked rapidly to dislodge the tired from my eyes. Mr. Rivers stood over me, his switch pulled back and ready to strike, his beady little eyes fierce in his anger. I surprised myself at how quickly my tired body could move as I sprang from the chair before he could land another blow. I looked out of the window and could barely tell if it was morning, noon or night in the gloom of the lingering storm.

The switch came stinging into my flesh, striking on my cheek and turning my face back to look at Mr. Rivers. "How dare you make me look like a fool in front of the Countess?!"

"Haven't you heard, Mr. Rivers," I asked smiling despite the pain in my cheek, "I can't make you appear to be something you are not?" He swung at me again to which I side stepped and laughed at his look of frustration.

He took a moment to comport himself, straightening his shirt with short, powerful tugs. "Be that as it may, it will not happen again."

"I doubt that." I interjected, unable to help myself. The look of amusement on my face matched the look of anger on his in intensity.

"Follow me." He turned on his heel and marched from the room. He walked swiftly down the stairs and into the servant's quarters, straight through to the dining room, much as he had the day before. A bucket sat in the middle of the floor, this time filled with warm, soapy water. "Today you shall be scrubbing the floors." He indicated the bucket with his switch.

I snickered as I watched him. "How it must annoy you to be torn from your duties."

He shrugged his shoulders and smiled. "I haven't the time to make sure you do your work properly today."

"Good then," I snapped, "be on your way."

"The Countess, however, demands that you have supervision. So she has provided the means to keep you in line." Mr. Rivers pointed behind me and I turned with a sickening feeling. As if called from the very depths of hell my worst nightmare grinned at me.

"Kesler." I said, my voice suddenly gone and my mouth dry.

He smiled knowingly at me as his eyes traveled up my form. The smile dropped from his mouth when he saw my face. "Did you do that?" He accused, looking at Mr. Rivers and pointing to my cheek. Mr. Rivers gulped at the threat in Kesler's voice and nodded. Kesler snatched the switch from Mr. Rivers hand and smacked him a number of times in quick succession as hard as he could. The humor in the situation vanished completely when next Kesler spoke. "See that you remember to whom she belongs." He broke the switch in half and tossed it at the shocked Mr. Rivers. "Be gone."

None of Mr. Rivers' threats scared me half as much as the mere presence of this man. We were left alone in the large room and I watched him warily. "Geri and my father will know everything." I said as a last defense, the fear evident even to my ears.

"Yes," he agreed, "but when? She won't be able to undo what has been done." He smirked and stepped closer to me. "Neither will your father."

"It will not be as easy as you think." I said bravely, hoping I was right.

"I hope not. I have often wondered what it would be like to break you, my heart." He reached across the distance and gently stroked my face. I flinched and he smiled. "Do as you are asked and there will be no reason for me to see how quickly you break. Or by what means you will surrender under first."

I gulped and nodded, dropping at once to do my task. The water scolded my hands but I didn't care, I just wanted to get it done and as quickly as I could.