33. Wrong direction

:::Kent:::

"Don't worry dear," I heard the grandmother say smoothly as I entered the room. "Your uncle will be fine in a day or two."

I watched my Lady nod her head in acceptance even if her body still spoke of disbelief. "I hope you'll keep me informed as to his condition."

I scrunched my brow in confusion, it seemed as if the women were having two conversations, one I could hear and the other implied. I smiled ruefully and dashed those thoughts away. "Good afternoon." I said bowing at the waist to Geraldine, I ignored the Countess completely.

"I hope my inquiries don't bother you." The older woman said, both her tone and her face suggesting different. "I only ask out of concern for my granddaughter."

I rolled my eyes but managed a polite bow and smile when I faced her again. "But of course." I intoned, noncommittally. I found an empty seat and sat facing the woman. "If I may ask, what has happened to my Lady's uncle?"

The Countess bristled at my casual claim to her granddaughter but chose to ignore it. "My son, Kesler, has taken ill."

"My condolences," I said not really caring. "How did he become to ill so quickly? He seemed in perfect health yesterday?"

Geraldine watched her grandmother closely and I was struck again by the notion that I was missing half the conversation. "He is battling a long running sickness, it has plagued him greatly for nearly fifteen years. There must be something in the air here that aggravated him." The Countess said, her voice quiet and her blue eyes dangerous. I ignored her implications and shook my head. Perhaps he was questioning the staff? Geraldine looked anxious as she watched her grandmother. "Tell me, Lord Kent," The Countess drew out her words to make me feel insulted without really insulting me, "is what I hear true?"

I smiled at her well laid trap but side stepped it easily. "That is such a broad summary, grandmother," I said with equal indifference. "You will just have to be more specific."

She smiled largely and looked around, almost as if we were about to share a secret. "The reason you are confined to this house and agreeing to marry my granddaughter with no knowledge of her?"

I almost laughed at her nerve. I could have admired her tenacity if not for the fact that I was her target. "That, also, would depend on what you heard."

Geraldine frowned at her grandmother and gave me a reassuring smile. "It cannot matter now, we are where we are and there's no going back." 

The Countess ignored Geraldine, nailing me with a look meant to kill me on sight. "I heard nothing definite," She waved her hand vaguely about her head, "but given what I know of you, I could hazard a guess." 

I grimaced, as much as I wanted Geraldine to find out the truth and leave this house forever, this woman angered me beyond measure. She was a guest in my home and she treated me as if I mattered less than a bur in her stocking. I sat back and put my hands behind my head. "Guess away, Countess, I have nothing to hide."

Geraldine looked hopelessly at the older woman, silently wishing her to remain quiet. The Countess did not comply as she raised her brow archly at me. "I've heard you're known to keep at least two women as your mistresses at a time."

I laughed at her look of censure. "Is that all? Last I heard it was at least five. How exhausting."

My Lady laughed and a little spot of red graced the grandmother's cheeks a she regarded me. "You do not dispute this?"

"Nope," I said flippantly. "What more have you to fling at me?"

"It is regarded as a well-known fact that you have lost most of your father's wealth with your excessive gambling." She said with more assurance.

"Yes, the collectors will come and possess my holdings at the end of next week." I said with mock uncertainty as I looked mournfully around the room. I earned myself another smile and scowl in turn.

"And your constant fighting? Kesler tells me you are nearly legendary in all of the boxing pubs, that you've beaten every man you've faced." The Countess snapped.

To this accusation I bowed at the waist. "I take that as an honor."

"That is not a sport for the gently bred!" She said outraged.

"I will not disagree." I said conversationally. "The sport calls for a strength of body rarely seen in the gently bred," I said pointedly, my eyes landing on the healthy son standing behind her. "I can protect myself and those I love better than most men with a pistol and I don't find that a quality to be put off by."

"You have not answered my question." The older woman said with authority. I could tell by the set of her shoulders and the certainty in her face that she was used to being obeyed.

"I have answered every question you set before me," I contradicted.

"Your father has removed every female from his staff. I heard that was to keep you from your carnal pleasures." The Countess said, an evil glint to her eyes. "Have you then tasted the crop from Geraldine's staff?"

She looked at me knowingly and the urge to knock the smirk from her face was overwhelming. "Enough, grandmother." Geraldine forced the words through clenched teeth as her angry eyes regarded her relation. "Leave Charity out of this."

A silent battle waged between the two women that was only broken by the arrival of my mother. 

"As you wish, my dear," The Countess said into the silence that followed Edith's entrance. My mother brought with her a sense of peace, it seemed as much as the Countess was will to abuse me in front of Geraldine, she was reluctant to offer offense in front of my mother. 

I leaned back against the wall as the women talked, wishing that I'd had a choice in how I spent my time. My mother offered my services to Geraldine as she recovers and that resulted in my confinement to the library.

I watched the group of women talk for a moment. Edith and Geraldine both sat rigidly, their every move and word rang with tension. I envied Brandan who had ridden back to his estate to see to his lands. He would be back in the morning so it wasn't much of a break but at least he got to stretch his legs.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, trying not to fidget noticeably. I watched the Countess closely in my agitation. She didn't seem to be here out of love or concern for Geraldine. Indeed, her only purpose, it seemed, was to find any and every excuse to prove Geraldine was better off without me. 

I shook my head in annoyance as I studied them. The end would still be the same if I forced my Lady away or her grandmother did. But the only direction the Countess was pushing her granddaughter was firmly towards me.