60. Little one

:::Charity:::

I held tightly to Geri's arm as we traipsed across the ground in the late morning sun. We were off to a wonderful patch of wild berries growing just over yonder. I held the edge of my dress above the high grass as the group of people followed Ursula. Geri and I were both trying to avoid our dinner partners. I winced as I felt the egg sized welt and bruise on the inside of my thigh. Kesler's revenge for being covered in Brandan's dinner. 

I squeezed closer to Geri as Kesler came to stand on my other side. "I have seen very little of you, dear Geraldine. I was hoping we could find a way to be friends."

Geri smiled and looked passed me to her uncle. "My favorite sort of uncle is one who is insightful and kind, two attributes I know to be beyond your capability."

"I could be capable of anything."

"But clearly not understanding an insult when it is leveled at you." I said still looking forward. I refused to show my fear when I knew I could take courage from those around me. 

"I can at least grasp when I've over stepped my rank and my position and am no longer welcome." Kesler said angrily.

I looked at Geri and smiled before replying. "I can't decide if he is being satirical or dense." I gave him a once over with as much attitude as I could manage. "He isn't clever enough to be funny so I must conclude he is just unintelligent."

Geri laughed and pulled us so we walked a little faster before Kesler could formulate his reply. We drew abreast of Edi and Amelia. "I do not wish to pick berries," Amelia said sullenly.

Edi laughed and swatted Amelia's arm playfully. "That's enough child."

"I don't wish to entertain her company any longer." Geri interjected with as much angst as she could muster.

"I declare that after this instant you never will again." I asserted.

"I concur." Edi said and Amelia nodded her agreement.

Amelia looked around her and leaned in closer to whisper, "If the activity is picking berries, why are the men here? They can't enjoy the tedious chore any more than we do."

"Because Amelia," Geri said with a forced smile on her face, "this is, more than anything, a party in which to find a husband. This activity gives couples a chance to be together and still appear proper."

I was unnerved by the tone of my sister's voice and I pulled her back slightly so we could follow on our own again. She smiled at me but did not speak again for the last several minutes of our journey. Ursula declared we'd arrived at our destination and unfolded a blanket to claim her spot in the open grass. I took the blanket from my arm and laid it on the grass under some shade out of the circle of people doing the same thing. 

The sun made a slow trek across the sky and the air was sticky and heavy, I sighed and wished we could have stayed indoors. I did not wish to walk anymore in the balmy weather but I couldn't stand the idea of sitting about while Geri sulked.

The men continued to walk through the open grass, many of them carrying equipment for a game I knew nothing about. I led Geri to follow them and listened in silence as the men around us mumbled. When we reached the open field they would set up in, I turned and followed the line of trees, Geri still quietly beside me. 

"If you are so miserable I can tell father and we will be gone before Ursula knew we were missing." I observed nonchalantly. 

Geri laughed and stopped us. "My misery, if it is that, won't be solved by leaving. My grandmother is no more unpleasant than usual."