76. Forgiveness

:::Charity:::

The carriage rumbled to a stop and I sat transfixed as I stared at the curtained door. Who waited on the other side? What would they say to me, what would I say to them? I clutched the small, stained sac that held all of my earthly belongings closer to my chest as the breathing I tried so hard to control come out in rasps. I stuck my hand in the bag and wrapped it around the jacket and calmed myself slowly. It was foolish to make a treasure of this jacket, even more foolish to bring it, but it was the only thing I had of his and it made me feel safe. 

The carriage door came open suddenly and the dark interior was lit by the unusually warm and bright September sun. I blinked rapidly until the dark figure materialized into a person. Brandan seemed surprised as he watched me carefully. He was dressed simply and stood out all the more because of it. He reached his hand toward me and I stared. This was my last moment where escape was possible, I shook my head to dislodge the cowardice from my heart. I gripped my bag tightly and grasped his hand and allowed his strength to pull me forward. 

I stepped down and took in my surroundings. The carriage pulled into a circle drive in front of a small cottage that looked to be a single person dwelling. The grey face of the stone was combated by blue shutters and a blue door. There was a small flower box on both sides of the door that was giving its last efforts in the waning season. Over all it had a quaint and welcoming air. 

Brandan urged me forward with an understanding smile on his kind face. "This is the rectory my cousin John occupies. He'll be performing the ceremony tomorrow." Brandan stopped by the door and turned to face me, his look serious and still forgiving. "John will bring you to the church in the morning and hide you in the room Geraldine will wait in. If you choose to stay there after she leaves, John will bring you here and no one will be the wiser."

I nodded but found that words still failed me. Brandan smiled and knocked roughly on the door. A tall, older man with Brandan's sparkling green eyes answered a moment later. "Brandan." He said with a smile on his too thin face. His eyes took stock of me and his smile grew and erased any unease in his eyes. "This must be the young lady I am helping to infiltrate the festivities tomorrow?" I nodded and his smile became even more kind. "Don't worry, young lady, your secret is safe with me."

"Thank you." I whispered and pulled my bag even closer to my chest as he ushered Brandan and I into the entryway. 

"Good, good." He watched me with curiosity for a moment longer in silence. I heard footsteps approaching form the depths of the house and turned anxious eyes on the man in front of me, to which he just smiled. "My daughter, Joline, will be helping you with whatever you need." At the mention of her name, a girl of about fifteen years appeared at his elbow. She was taller than me with dark hair and the same expressive green eyes as her father. "Joline, my dear, why don't you run a bath for our guest?" The girl bent her head and disappeared back into the house. "I'll give you two a moment." He locked eyes with Brandan and nodded his head and he too disappeared into the house. 

I turned to face Brandan and smiled weakly at his accessing glance. "You can trust John, he won't alert anyone to your presence. If you choose to leave, I will arrange for your transportation and no one will have to know." He paused and watched me like I might bolt and I felt the tremendous urge to do so. "I'm glad you came." He hugged me briefly and in a moment was gone.

After some time I turned from the closed door and found the young girl watching me from around the corner. I squared my shoulders and smiled with a confidence I did not feel. "Hello." 

"Hello." She replied tentatively. "Your bath is ready, miss, if you are." I nodded and followed as she turned briskly on her heel and walked down the hall to the left. The house was small but comfortable and Joline led me up a set of stairs and turned to the door on the right. She opened it slowly and waited for me to enter.