9. The price to be paid

:::Charity:::

I stared at him in bewilderment, everything about him screamed dogged determination, from the way his jaw clenched to the defiance that sparked out of his black eyes. But I would not back down from the challenge he eluded to. "Not likely," I growled at him. Geri's future happiness depended on my success and nothing he did would make me lose sight of that. "If you do not wish to marry and be a good and loving husband, why continue the charade?" I asked, desperate to understand his motivations.

The foreboding look returned to his face and he slipped easily into the future Earl of Preston regarding an unpleasant task. "That is none of your concern." He said in a steely voice. He looked around disinterestedly and shrugged his shoulders. "You seem to be feeling better, shall we rejoin the others?"

I was unnerved by his myriad of emotions and I followed him silently from the covered haven. I resolved to keep Kent's disinterest to myself, the knowledge would kill everything in Geri that I love. I was confident that given time Lord Kent would grow to love her open and loving nature. He would just have to Geri a chance. I meant every word of my threat but I didn't know how I would make him regret neglecting my sister without telling Geri everything. I had never had to keep a secret from my sister, except concealing the bruise from when Kesler hit me and that hadn't worked.

I kept my head down as I walked, thinking. I followed Kent's shadow which I could just see from the corner of my eye. He seemed unconcerned if I stayed near him or not. So I didn't care either. I stopped and let his shadow disappear, I wanted a moment to clear my head. I breathed in the scented air with my eyes closed for several minutes. Nothing calmed me as much as being outside. There was a simplistic beauty in it and I always knew where I stood and what I was to nature.

I wasn't the daughter that was the cause for all things that had gone wrong in my father's life. I wasn't the maid in charge of taking care of the house hold. I wasn't the plague claimed or the protector Geri needed. I was simply as insignificant as everyone else.

I smiled, feeling more at east. I opened my eyes and shouted in shock. Kent was there, his eyes an inch from mine. I jumped back and pushed him as forcefully as I could. He laughed so hard he was bent double and making a huge ruckus. My cheeks burned with embarrassment and I turned on my heel and run dashing down the first path that would take me from his mocking laughter. I had never run from anything before and this knowledge alone caused me shame.

I had never understood why people used hedges like a maze in their gardens but at that moment I was thankful for them. I found a bench tucked out of the way in a small space and breathed deeply to restore my sense of calm. His laughter still ran in my head and caused such anger I was momentarily overcome. How could I convince him of my determination if I ran from him like a scared child?

I sighed but kept my face hidden in my hands. Someone slid on to the bench next to me, much like a snake would and I didn't have to look to know it was Kent.

"I have realized," he said, his voice once again charming and self-confident, "that we have not placed a wager on our little bet."

I looked at him in shock. He was too close again but his eyes stopped me from moving. There were staring at me, burning like two bottomless pits of determination, so sure of himself that he'd bet his own soul. "What?" I asked after a moment of confused silence. I looked around the small space and silently cursed myself for making it so easy for him to trap me.

I felt Kent touch the back of my hand and my head snapped back to him. His finger burned against my cold skin and I snatched it away, coming to my feet in one fluid motion. Kent stayed where he was but regarded me with self-assurance. "You say I must be a proper and honest gentleman and treat Geraldine with the dignity and respect you think she deserves. And lover her like she deserves." I nodded, it did not seem that difficult a concept to understand. "I tell you I will have you in my bed." His words were quiet and his eyes bored into me like he were seeing my soul, and the smile that claimed his sensuous mouth was consuming. "A wager." He spoke into the poignant air.