24. Relief

:::Charity:::

Brandan carried Geri up the stairs to her room and placed her gently on the bed. She had not spoken much beyond what I demanded of her. Her face was pale and her eyes were large in her face.

"It will be okay." I said, smoothing the curls from her face as I perched on the edge. She wrapped her hand around mine and squeezed. The bleeding had stopped on her forehead and as I used a clean cloth from her wash basin to clean the dried blood and dirt from her face, I smiled when I realized it was nothing more than a surface wound. 

Brandan paced at the end of her bed and I smiled weakly at him. He was covered in dirt and he buzzed with nervous energy. I let go of Geri's hand and rose to stand next to him. I placed my hand on his arm to calm him. "There is nothing more you can do at the moment, why not go wash and change while we wait?" He nodded and left the room. I looked down at my dirt stained and blood soaked clothes and shrugged. Nothing could tempt me from my sister's side. 

I used the wet cloth and water to wash most of the dirt from my hands I walked back to the bed and crawled next to her. She had fallen asleep and I absently rubbed my hand through her hair as I waited. I felt myself slowly drifting to sleep in the silence that followed. 

No more than an hour later the bedroom door burst open and I sat up, blinking rapidly. My father stood just within the doorway looking disheveled and wary as he approached us. I untangled myself from Geri and ran to him. My own fear and uncertainty rushing back as his strong arms engulfed me. I shivered but refused to allow any tears to fall. Geri would be okay and I had to remain in control for both her and Bastion's sake. 

"What happened Chicken?" He asked after he released me and walked to Geri's side. "Oh Cricket," he sighed and stroked her face.

"She fell down a steep hill while we were in the woods." I generalized so it wouldn't be worse for him than need be, my voice calmer than I felt.

Bastion took my place beside Geri and smiled back at me. He was trying to remain calm so I returned his smile. "And you rolled after her, always the protective older sister?" He asked indicating the filth I stood in.

I thought of myself as he must see me, dirt stains on my elbows, knees and backside, blood stained deep brown on the muted color of my sleeve. No doubt there were leaves and twigs in my tousled hair. I smiled unapologetically and he laughed.

"Waverly has summoned the doctor, why don't you take a moment to change and make yourself ready?" He asked kindly.

I sighed and nodded, knowing he was right. I walked back over to him and hugged him quickly before leaving the room. I leaned my head against the door and sighed heavily. It is amazing how adrenaline can pump you up and drain you so thoroughly.

"I have been searching for you." I heard Mr. Rivers say in his nasty tones behind me. I turned wary eyes on him and he smirked. "As much as it pains me to take you from your passions, I was under the impression we understood one another."

"I have no business with you, nor a wish to understand you. It may have never occurred to you but I've only played along in an attempt to placate you. Tomorrow I may pay dearly but tonight I will do as I wish." I said firmly to his shocked and angry face as I walked toward where he stood at the top of the stairs. "If you'll excuse me?" I stepped forward but the loathing man refused to move. We stood that way for several minutes in suspended tension.

"Let the lady through." A voice snapped half way up the stairs. Kent stood breathless, his hair wind swept and his cheeks red. His dark gaze locked on Mr. Rivers. I was momentarily mesmerized by his beauty, full of life and anger as he stared daggers at the other man.