12. Vexed beyond words

:::Kent:::

I watched the moon make its slow arch across the sky and I wondered how long I would be kept waiting for my angel to make an appearance. My legs had grown cold from the long hours of contact with the stone bench. I readjusted myself and watched the garden path outside of the small alcove I'd hidden myself in. Minutes ticked by and I began to consider giving up the game for one night when a shadow passed quickly over my face. I looked up just in time to see dark hair disappearing beyond my enclosure. 

I smiled and came quickly to my feet and followed her shadow for some time unnoticed. She appeared to be enjoying herself, although her movement lacked a grace that was innate in her this afternoon. She stopped at a cross roads and stood contemplating her options, her brow scrunching in confusion. I allowed myself another devilish smile as I remembered her frightened screech and flight this afternoon. 

"The one on the left will lead you back to the house. The one on the right leads to the center of the garden." I smiled as she jumped and turned angry eyes on me. "Both of them have appropriately accommodating places to lie back and enjoy each other." I finished wickedly.

The moon slipped behind a gathering of clouds but her eyes shone silver enough to illuminate the area. "Wonderful!" She hissed and took a step toward me. "Anything else inappropriate you'd like to share before you are on your way?"

I smiled around my annoyance, to be spoken to like a naughty school boy by this slight woman, and took a step closer. "I have never left a woman dissatisfied." I said boisterously.

She bristled and closed the last distance between us. "Now be on your way that I might have some peace."

The moon broke free of the clouds and shone brightly again and I saw for the first time an angry red scratch on her face. I reached my hand out and stroked the mark with a single finger. "Did you get this from a rendezvous in the bushes with your friend Walter?" I asked purposely speaking the wrong name. 

She snatched her head back and scowled at me. "You leave Waverly alone. He's like a brother to me." Her face was fey-like in the light of the moon and I wondered how I could have mistaken her for a child upon seeing her for the first time. 

"How did you make your beautiful face, my angel?" I asked, lacing my voice with charm and concern. 

Her scowl deepened and she stepped back. "I fell." She said after a moment but would not meet my gaze.

I laughed at her and imagined her sticking her face into a flower to smell it and losing her balance. "Next time you wish to roll about in the bushes let me know before hand and I will join you." She balked as she stared at me and in her shock I closed the distance her retreat created and took her hands in my own. "Dear angel, you claimed you would only take a man to your bed that you loved. I can assure you I will love you more expertly than either of the two who currently occupy that position."

She tried to pull her hands from mine and step back but I would not let her go that easily. This was a battle I waged often and I knew exactly how to win. "Two?" She asked with a mixture of confusion and innocence. 

I looked into her large silver eyes and almost believed her. "Yes, it is clear to all who see that you have taken both Lord Bastion and his boy to your bed. I am equally as certain that I can love you more vigorously than the boy and longer than the old man."

She stared at me indignantly again and pulled her hands away more forcefully and I let her go, smiling as she stepped back. "Waverly is like my brother," She repeated, "and Bastion is like a father. I'm supremely offended at your notion and presumption."