21. A stomach for business

:::Kent:::

"Change of plans." I turned to the doorway of the library where I waited for Geraldine and saw Preston standing dressed and anxious looking. I watched him wearily as he stepped further into the room. He hadn't spoken a word to me, neither kind nor angry, since he stormed from my room the night Geraldine arrived. "Didn't you hear me boy?" He said tersely.

I watched him silently for a moment as I formulated an answer that would anger him. "Yes, change of plans." I finally answered. I made no move to rise to my feet or to put the book I'd been reading down. Preston's nostrils flared in anger and I allowed a small smile onto my impassive face. "Since," I said cutting him off as he opened his mouth, "I have nothing planned with you, I can't imagine how anything has changed."

Preston harrumphed and stepped closer. He took great care choosing his next words and controlling his temper. "You're coming into town with me." He finally stated.

I watched him a moment longer wondering if this development came because of the talk I had with my mother yesterday morning. I decided to push him a little further, to make him writhe under Edith's command. "Nothing like going to a brothel to repair a broken relationship between father and son." I watched him for a moment as the anger washed over his face and turned it red before I continued. "I wasn't aware out little settlement even had a brothel or that the great Preston Radding, 7th Earl of Preston, was interested in such carnal activities."

Preston bristled and puffed his chest in anger. "You hold me in very little respect and I understand, the feeling is mutual," He growled, still trying to control his temper. "But have more respect for your mother." He snapped and took several deep breaths before continuing in a much more controlled tone. "I have business in town and you're coming with me."

"Your business has nothing to do with me." I said belligerently hoping he'd turn into a raving lunatic for Geraldine who should arrive at any moment. 

"Your mother thought you'd be willing to help." He barked angrily, confirming my suspicions. "Don't make me right before you even leave the house."

I looked dubiously around and tried to hide my excitement at the possibility of a break from my imprisonment. "My mother said I should take an interest in your business matters?"

"Yes," Preston said reluctantly and quietly. "She's under the impression that I should give you a chance to prove yourself." He finished darkly.

My anger grew at the blatant disbelief in his tone and my temper spiked before I could exercise caution, "Then by all means let us set forth into the land of unavoidable disappointment." I said bitterly as I rose to my feet. I tossed the forgotten book with a loud thunk onto the table. 

Preston watched me for a moment, clearly calculating and then nodded his head. "Bastion and I will be waiting for you at the stables."

"Waiting?" I asked in a measured tone, "I will just follow you."

Preston snorted and glared at me. "No, you won't." He said angrily losing his patience. "We're conducting business not frolicking through the garden." He looked me from head to foot and snarled, "You will change."

"Change?" I asked in a curious tone that I knew would annoy him further.

Preston regarded me and grunted, turning his knowing glare on me. "Change your clothing so you might not embarrass me while I conduct my business." He turned on his heel and stomped from the room.

I looked down at my clothes and shrugged. It was not better or worse than what else I possessed. I walked slowly to my room and changed into something more appropriate for riding into town. I took my time traversing the halls as I meandered to the stables. I had no wish to impress my father with my business acumen and risk the possibility of gaining more responsibility. I shuttered at the thought, but the disbelief in Preston's voice annoyed me more than I liked. Hopefully business will require very little from me.