39. The secret is out

:::Kent:::

I sat across the small table from Brandan in the library at what I thought had become my undisputed spot. I glanced down at the game board and flicked a piece forward, my eyes wandering back to the door. I had not seen Charity since the morning before and although I trusted my mother whens he said the women were safely secluded in Geraldine's room for the day, I still worried. 

My eyes strayed to the window and I grimaced at the dark clouds that made it impossible to ascertain the time and would keep us locked indoors again. I skimmed my eyes over the game and noted as Brandan swiftly beat me again before my eyes wandered back to the door. The Countess and her hell raised minions had retreated to their rooms the day before as well and I was apprehensive again. All I needed was Charity to appear and remain where I could protect her and I would feel better.

"You are terrible at strategy," Brandan observed into the silence and my eyes locked on him, "but you have never been this easily beaten." I shrugged, still too troubled to concentrate. "Kent, what is on your mind?"

"My angel." I said absently. Brandan shot me a dark look with I matched easily. "Just because you like my Lady does not mean that I must. Or that I must submit fully to my marriage to her."

"Geraldine is too kind to be treated this way." He said savagely as he reset the board and moved his first piece. "If you would spend but five minutes actually trying to know her you would see her quality for yourself."

I shrugged, not really wishing to argue the point further. "If I marry her, for whatever reason, I will always question my own free choice. If I accept her because my father gives me no other choice but I fool myself into liking her, resentment is sure to follow. I will not risk that, she doesn't deserve that any more than I do. I will not marry her." I smiled wickedly at him and said, "So I will have fun with her maid instead." 

My eyes wandered back to the door as Brandan snorted. "You seem no further in that endeavor than I am in convincing you to become a monk." He looked at me quizzically when I turned to face him. "You haven't said a kind word to her in nearly a week. I know you have stopped your nightly wanderings. And the night before last you came in here in such anger I thought she had insulted your manly pride again. I thought you've given up the fight."

I thought for a moment and nodded my affirmation. "I have given up the fight, but for my own reasons, nothing to do with her." I closed my eyes briefly as the torrent of emotions overwhelmed me. When I looked, Brandan was watching me closely. I struggled for a moment with indecision, he knew nothing of what transpired the day before. I rubbed my hand over my face and leaned closer to tell him. There was no one else in the room but still I felt the need to whisper. 

Brandan listened silently as I described the events of the day before. The only sign of displeasure was the color slowly leaving his face. When I'd finished he asked, in hushed tones, "You seem to have handled it fairly, why watch the door like a hawk for her arrival?"

"I have no proof," I said firmly before I went on, knowing the information would make his blood run cold with anger when he knew what I had good reason to suspect. He nodded understanding, I took a deep breath and plunged onward. "Because that man, Kesler," I said with disgust, "beat her. I know he did even if she won't admit it. He also promised worse than physical punishment and the Countess said much the same thing yesterday." Brandan's eyes widened and he too looked anxiously at the door. I prepared myself for what I must say next and when Brandan's eyes were on me again, my face was the perfect neutral mask. "I may not care for her but no one deserves that."

Brandan laughed and looked at me dubiously. "You do care for her, no matter how you deny it." I felt my whole body still as I waited impatiently for him to continue, to elaborate. "We all do. She is unorthodox but she has endeared herself to all of us. But I agree, no one deserves that."