23. Happy in disappointment

:::Kent:::

I stood from my chair confident I was about to make my father right about everything he thought of me. I was just as confident that I didn't care. I smiled down at Gloria and offered my hand. Gingerly she took it and we shook resolutely, a tear forming in her eye. "Never fear, Mrs. Collins." I nodded once and showed myself to the door.

Outside, the small village bustled onward, completely oblivious to the struggles of this little family. I frowned as I stepped onto the street and wound around people as I walked slowly toward Preston's warehouse. I had promised my protection but I had no idea how to offer it. I cam to the middle of the market square and stopped in my tracks. 

I had plenty of money to my name that Preston couldn't touch but that wouldn't ensure what I'd promised. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. It had been more than a desire to anger my father that led me to this place. It had been the wrongness of the situation that tugged on my gut. "Blast!" I swore under my breath as I let out a breath slowly. Since when did such a thing bother me? That's right, she reminded me of my angel, I smiled ruefully.

My eye caught on a sign hanging over one of the buildings in the square. A bakers. I knew then how I could keep my end of the bargain. I looked around, quickly formulating a plan. I walked confidently into the shop and waited in the quiet room some minutes before I was joined by a smiling older woman. "How may I help you?"She asked kindly.

I chose my next words carefully, knowing I walked a fine line with an innocent woman's reputation. "Do you know the Collins?" I asked tentatively.

The woman's face darkened and she nodded. "Indeed I do sir, tragedy that is. To leave behind a wife and so many young children." She shook her head sadly.

I smiled as my next words sprang from my mouth. "The Earl has expressed his desire to help in any way he can." I said smoothly, knowing Preston would never withdraw his support if so many people knew he gave it, or thought he did. "I've been instructed to start a tab here in his name and request that enough food be delivered to the Collins' household each week." The woman's eyes grew at my proclamation. "I've also been instructed to find her a book and a maid. Perhaps you could help me with those as well? I haven't a clue how to procure such employment." I said honestly.

She nodded almost automatically and disappeared through the door she'd entered. I tapped my foot, smiling as I imagined Preston's great anger. If I was going to be a disappointment, I might as well excel at that as well. 

After several silent moments the woman reappeared with two younger women in two. "They are not professionally trained but you'll find no one better." She beamed at the two girls. 

I laughed and nodded. "I trust you." I smiled and winked at her, causing the older woman to blush profusely.

We spent nearly half an hour discussing wages and when the two girls would start. I had no idea what I exited the shop if I agreed to outrageous wages or if I agreed to under pay them. Either way, it was a small amount, all things considered. 

I went then to the butcher's and the tailors and organized much the same thing with each. The children would need a governess but I would wait and involve Amelia in my plan, she would understand that better. I scribbled a note on the back of the eviction notice I carried with me and paid a boy to run it over to Mrs. Collins so she would not be surprised when people started bringing her food and help.

When everything was settled I walked slowly toward my father's office. I was not looking forward to what punishment he would level at me but I was prepared to accept the brunt of his anger. As I walked, I heard a commotion behind me and turned to see the crowd splitting to allow a cantering horse and rider through. I moved to the side as well until I noticed the boy, Walter or whatever, astride the horse. I stepped into his path and caused the onlookers to gasp as he barely avoided colliding with me.

When he saw who I was, he jumped down and rushed at me. "Where is Bastion?" He asked breathlessly, his eyes large and his hands shaking.

I help up my hands. "Calm down Walter, what has happened?" The crowd began to swarm around us.

"With all due respect, Lord Kent, my name is Waverly and I've business with my master alone." He said defiantly, hardness turning his boyish features into that of a determined man.

"Ho now, what's this?" I cringed when I recognized my mother's voice. I turned and watched her walk from the direction of the tailor's shop, the one I had so recently exited. I'd heard someone in the back but I never imagined it was my mother. Her eyes betrayed no secret knowledge as she looked first at me and then at Walter. Her perfectly sculpted brow raised to show she expected to know all.

Walter's strong look faded and was replaced with one of panic as before. "I need to see Lord Bastion." He said as firmly as he could manage.

"Of course." Edith replied calmly. "Kent, where is your father?"

"Conducting business." I said bitterly.

She frowned at me but led Walter through the now speechless crowd. Amelia appeared at my side and looked just as confused and full of apprehension as I felt. We followed closely behind the two and the horse until we reached the entrance of the building. The afternoon heat still burned down on us but I held Amelia outside the building as my mother disappeared into the cool depths.

"What do you suppose it could be?" Amelia asked, a little breathless as her eyes filled with excitement.

"Something bad." I said with a half smile on my face. "Or something bad enough to make Walter stand up for himself." I said reminding myself to purposely confuse his name because that would annoy Charity more. Amelia looked around scared as she hugged herself. I sighed and squeezed her shoulder. "Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be fine."

No sooner had my words died on the air did the door burst open and cause both Amelia and myself to step back. Bastion grabbed the horse by the reins and in one swift motion mounted the horse and took off before I could form a thought.

I watched him in bewilderment, fear growing in my gut. I shrugged it away, hoping Bastion wouldn't react in such a way to bad news of his mistress. The door opened and Walter appeared with Charles, the latter talking loudly and just as quickly as before. "I'm to fetch the doctor," Charles said, the first thing from his mouth that I paid attention to.

"Charles!" I barked, stopping him in mid stride. He turned back and looked quizzically at me. I pulled the eviction notice from my pocket and handed it to him. "Deliver that to the Collins residence when you've called the doctor." He nodded and ran off. Several minutes later Edith came back onto the street, her eyes full of worry.

"What's happened?" Amelia asked nearly bouncing on her heels in her terrible excitement.

Preston followed Edith closely onto the street. "Seems there's been an accident and Charles went to fetch the doctor."

"Who was hurt?" Amelia asked clearly curious.

"Brandan was carrying Geraldine," Edith explained, "screaming for the doctor but her maid was covered in blood and dirt. The boy was rather rushed and didn't get all the details before he left."

My stomach clenched and I looked for my horse. "I shall see you both at home." I said to my parents.

"On the contrary boy," Preston said darkly. I raised my brow at him and he cleared his throat. "There is little help we could be, let the women handle the worrying. We've business to discuss." 

My temper flared at his quick and uncaring dismissal of a woman he wished me to marry. "I can't so easily set aside my worry about my Lady," I said cuttingly. Preston sputtered for a moment, which angered me further. "And before you ask," I spat, not caring that we stood in the open or in front of my mother and sister, "our business is finished. You were right to be disappointed in me. I haven't the stomach for business. And before you rush to evict a woman younger than me with five children, not one of them over ten, understand that everyone in this village is under the impression that the Great Earl of Preston is generously supplying food and help to he poor widow woman." I finished icily into the silence and quickly mounted my horse.

"I'll be at home." I growled, looking down at my mother. I kicked my heels into the horse and the animal sprang forward.