34. Matching marks of ownership

:::Charity:::

When finally I was allowed to call my task finished, my knees were raw from hours spent scrubbing the floors. My back felt as if someone were jabbing me with one hundred white-hot pokes. I did my work diligently, not stopping until late in the evening when all was finished. I stumbled quickly into the dining room, conscious of Kesler's presence behind.

I sat in the first available seat, tucking my head into the crook of my arm. I heard Kesler keep walking and I lifted my head slightly to watch as he disappeared into the kitchen. I couldn't even contemplate escape before he reappeared carrying a bowl. I tucked my head back in and tried to hide the tension and fear that filled me at his approach. 

He set the bowl down in front of me and quickly moved around to sit across from me. "Eat up, my heart." He said in the space just above my head. I resisted the urge to snap my head up and instead I concentrated on the feeling of my nails digging into the soft flesh of my arm. "You did me proud today." He observed, his voice muffled as he talked around the food in his mouth.

I could not caution myself against raising my head as I watched him warily. He winked at me and I looked away, searching for anything else to focus on.

"I must confess," He purred and I found my gaze back on his as he continued, "I didn't expect you to break so easily." I stared at him, my heart beating faster in fear. "But I suspect that has more to do with you wanting to beat me by not fighting." His eyes took in my upper body slowly, lingering on my chest and making me cringe, until we locked gazes and I gulped from the look in his eyes. "Tomorrow we will have to see how far I can push you to see if you are really mine or hoping only to scrape by with no notice."

I broke eye contact before the fear could render me mindless and looked down at the food in front of me. My stomach rumbled in combined protest and hunger. The same food I had rejected the night before sat in front of me. "Is this all?" I asked, my voice hoarse, from lack of use all day, not fear, I assured myself.

"Mr. Rivers insists that you waste nothing. He is a smart man. Well," Kesler smiled, "provided we don't have another mishap like this morning." He watched me in silence for a moment while he stuffed his mouth with remains of the roast I had smelled the other morning. "It occurs to me that you never thanked me for my kind rescue this morning."

"I wasn't thankful." I snapped, ever rebellious, and continued before my tired mind could caution me. "I'd rather deal with a hundred Mr. Rivers than one slimy, filthy Kesler."

His blue eyes flashed with anger but then he smiled and I was filled with a fear I had never experienced before. "I knew you would not be so easily won." He reached across the table and stroked my frozen face. "But all the sweeter you'll taste for what I will do to you before the end."

I jerked my head back and stared angrily at him. I was too sore and hungry to know better. I picked up the bowl of day old paste and flung it at his face. Shocked, I jumped to my feet and ran from the room. I heard him get to his feet, sputtering and cursing. He was much faster than me and caught me around the arm just as I entered the bend in the hallway.

He spun me so I was facing him and pinned me to the wall. "Your time will come, my heart." He whispered, angrily bringing his face close to mine, "but not here, not now. As much as it would please me, there is an order we must follow."

I spat in his face, my fear making me brave... or stupid... "Go to hell!"

Kesler leisurely wiped the spit from his cheek and watched me a moment in silence. He raised his arm and backhanded me so hard my head smashed against the stone wall behind me. "Now you shall have matching scars of ownership." A second later I felt the sting and burning pain as I realized his ring had cut into my skin again. "My mother says you are to be confined tonight, but I'll not take you to my bed until you beg for it." He said, his voice suddenly heavy and dark.

I laughed around my fear and anger as I watched him watching me. "I'll never beg for that."

Kesler smiled and stroked my forehead, wrapping the loose hairs around my ear. "How little you know, my heart." He said exasperated. Then his look hardened as he leaned so close our noses were touching. I could smell his rancid breath as every inch of his body molded to mine. "Whether you beg for the sake of passion or for the relief of escaping my wrath doesn't matter to me, but you will beg."

I wriggled my body violently against the wall, trying to get away from him and he smiled against my feeble attempts. "Let me go!" I whispered forcefully.

Kesler leaned in, quick as a snake, and licked the blood seeping from my wounded right cheek. He stepped back and wrapped his hand around my arm. He produced a set of keys from his pocket and stopped at a door halfway down the hall I hadn't been permitted to enter while whitewashing or scrubbing. He unlocked the door and shoved me in, quickly slamming it closed and sticking the key back to lock me in. "Goodnight, my heart." He called as I heard his boots stomp away.

I shivered in disgust and wiped furiously at my cheek until the skin was raw but I could still feel his tongue on my skin. I grimaced. Ursula said she left the discipline of her servants up to Kesler and Tallys and they have had no mishaps in nearly five years. I looked at the closed door and believed every word of it. I shivered again as a sliver of moonlight broke through the storm clouds and illuminated the small room. It was nothing more than a pantry of sorts, stocked not with food but with brooms, mops and various other disregarded objects. Everything was covered with a thin layer of dust and enough cobwebs to satisfy any spider. 

The only light came from a small window high up on the wall. There was a stack of old buckets and baskets against the wall in the corner. I sighed and leaned against the door, slowly sinking to the floor. I pulled my knees against my chest and rested my head. I reluctantly convinced myself to sleep, knowing I would need all of my strength to face Kesler again.