53. Haven Wood

:::Charity:::

It was barely after one in the afternoon when Edi finally deemed us ready to leave. It was nearly a seven hour ride and we would have just one stop to rest the horses about halfway through the journey. Preston, Edi and Amelia rode in a separate carriage, while Geri and I were left with our own with room for two more. Bastion, Kent and Brandan would all ride horses. With nearly two whole luggage carts filled with an exhaustible amount of trunks and boxes. What a sight we must have appeared!

My lack of sleep the night before actually worked to my advantage. I wasn't quiet asleep for all the jostling of the carriage, but I was so tired that I lacked any true brain functions. I laid on my side of the coach and passed the time by watching the sky. When the break came I got out of the carriage with Geri and walked around until we were ready to leave again. The long hours of riding were too much for Bastion and Brandan so both joined us in our carriage. 

I sat next to my father and rested my head on his shoulder for the rest of the trip. "Wake up, Chicken, we're here."

I shook the tiredness from my body and joined my sister in gazing out of the window. The house and seat of the Count and Countess of Haven Wood was on an even greater scale than that of Preston Palace but it did not inspire awe in the same fashion. The front of the building was three stories high with more than twenty windows and large double doors that were one flight above the ground. A curved staircase of white stone led to the doors that were surrounded on either side by two large, stately columns. 

The drive leading to the door was straight and wide enough that two carriages might pass by each other with ease. The land surrounding the drive was clean, manicured grass. No trees, no flowers, no shrubbery. Every ten feet a man stood holding a torch to keep the twilight at bay. 

I harrumphed as I reclaimed my seat. "Is it not grand enough for you?" Brandan asked innocently.

"Oh yes," I said with mock reverence. "I have never seen anything more pompous or ostentatious in my life! They should be proud, I've never understood how meager I am until I saw this place." 

Geri and Brandan laughed but Bastion grabbed my hand. "We can always turn around. We are not bound."

I laughed nervously and squeezed back. "And miss all of the wonderful activities Ursula lovingly planned? I don't think so." The rest of the ride to the house was silent as I felt the tension building within. I took several deep breaths to calm the beating of my heart. The decision was already made so there was no use in fretting about it now. I must grit my teeth and bear it just until I leave.

The carriage rumbled to a halt and the door swung open. Geri was the first to exit and I followed her. We locked arms and walked up the stairs together. Edi and Amelia met us at the top coming from the other side.

"Welcome." Ursula said from just within the doorway. The small amount of joy left her face when she saw me clutching at Geri's arm. "I see you remembered everything." She said distastefully. She looked behind me at the sound of the men ascending the stairs. "Excellent!" She beamed again, her happiness taking on a sinister edge with the evil glint in her eye. "Now if you will follow me."

She turned and marched away. In pairs we followed her into the large home. The floors were covered in thick, lush carpet, the walls in large ornate tapestries and paintings. Every surface gave the appearance of trying too much to prove they were wealthy. The affect was stuffy and displeasing. Preston Palace may have been under decorated as Ursula mentioned but it was certain more elegant than this.

Ursula led us to an ornately carved marble staircase that was just as over done as everything else seemed to be. At the top of the stairs she faced our small party. "Not everyone has arrived but there is still a small gathering in the west drawing room if you care to join us after you've freshened up. Scott," She said indicating a man standing as still as a statue to our right, "please take the men to their rooms while I show the ladies theirs."