58. The locket

:::Charity:::

I stood in front of the window, watching my reflection as I flipped my braid over my shoulder and back again as I waited. The braid was now adorned with a dark blue ribbon and two hair pins decorated with pearls to match the dinner dress or evening gown or whatever they called it. I ran my hand down my stomach feeling the fabric, I was in awe of the craftsmanship of my new wardrobe, even if it was rushed, it was finer than anything else I'd ever worn. 

It was a dark blue fabric I'd already forgotten the name of that clinched under my bust line and cascaded to my feet in a rush of flowing cloth. The sleeves were three quarters length and each hem was embroidered with small pearls in a chaotic pattern that reminded me of the stars. I was astonished and mesmerized by my own reflection, I actually looked like a lady even if I felt ridiculous for dressing up for these people.

The door to Geri's room opened and I turned hoping to see my sister. Edi came to the room earlier to steal Geri away to help with some catastrophe that required her attention. Edi was the only one to return and she stood with a smile on her face. "You look lovely." She said holding her hands out for me to take. 

I stepped nervously forward and grabbed her outstretched fingers. "I feel foolish." I admitted. 

Edi was quizzical as she asked, "Whatever for?" 

I laughed and thought, trying to find the correct words to articulate my feelings. I sighed and gave into mumbling until it made sense. "They all treat me as if I'm a plague and this feels like I am attempting to assimilate to their culture and expectations when I want nothing to do with them. I'd almost rather wear exactly what a bastard should just to prove that I care nothing for their opinion." I finished still not sure I managed to truly express myself. 

Edi laughed and hugged me briefly. "Sometimes a pretty dress can be a statement for yourself that has nothing to do with anyone else. Wear it as armor. To me it says that you aren't afraid of who you are and no amount of bullying can make you ashamed." She grabbed either side of my face and took a few moments to survey it. "It may be a part of who you are but it is not all that you are."

Edi released me and I found myself smiling. "Armor, you say?"

"A protective force that lets the world know you don't care." She agreed heartily.

"Is Geri still being detained?" I asked when someone knocked on the door. 

Edi looked behind her impatiently and rolled her eyes. "No, I sent them to the waiting room."

"Waiting room?" I interrupted. 

Again Edi rolled her eyes but in a comical fashion as she divulged the reasons behind the intelligently named space. "Ursula said it is where we wait for dinner." She tittered in a very poor impression of the other woman that made me laugh even harder. When I had quieted she continued, an indulgent smile on her face. "There is someone in the hall who wishes to speak to you." She said cryptically.

I was a mix of excitement and apprehension as I tried to shove images of my handsome devil out of my mind. Edi smiled at me before exchanging words with the person on the other side of the door and then exiting. The door stayed open for a fraction of a second before before Bastion entered the room. I was awash in relief and disappointment. 

"Oh Charity," He said, at a loss for words as he gently closed the door. "You look..." He paused and swallowed uncertainly as he took a step forward. "You look like your mother."

I was speechless, this was the first time in nearly twenty years he had willingly mentioned her on his own. I watched the hesitancy as he fumbled with his hands. It was odd, this feeling like I had to be the strong one for my father. "What is it?" I asked as I stepped up to him.