28. So cold it burns

:::Charity:::

By the time morning came I was ready to leave Geri's room, just as she said I would be. I smiled ruefully at her as I helped her change, the library would be a welcome change. I would still be sitting around, confined indoors, but at least I could get up and move around. There'd be the perfect view of the garden as Geri said yesterday. Which, no doubt, would look perfectly wonderful in the summer sun.

I sighed and Geri laughed, bringing me back to the present. "You do not have to stay at my side all day. Help me hobble down the stairs and get settled and you can resume your wanderings." Geri said half serious as she watched me.

"Nonsense." I answered with mock reproach. "I would be the worst kind of sister if I left knowing you are in the middle of your recovery."

Geri looked at me and smiled. "Poppycock." She stated simply. "How can I recover knowing you are wilting indoors?"

I watched her serious face behind the smile and I sighed at the set of her jaw. "Fine, I will make you a deal." I said just as firmly as she felt, I am sure. "When you are safely in bed for the night I will take my wilting self into the moonlit garden and take in the scene."

"Deal." She said triumphantly.

I grunted and she laughed. "You're impossible." I observed.

Geri smiled flagrantly as she replied, "Only because I strive to be more like you."

I laughed and leaned down to help her to her feet. Together we hobbled down the stairs laughing the entire way. Setting her in to her favorite reading chair was a relief. Slight as she was it was almost more than my strength could take to support us both.

I spent the next half hour bringing Geri books so she would have no need to get up. Finally she was happily settled and I walked over to the window. Just the sight of green and splashes of color were enough to help calm my restlessness. No matter how I reassure Geri, I knew the days indoors would drive me mad. Even the threat of intrusion from Kent wouldn't be enough to dissuade me to abandon my nightly forays into the garden. I would evade him, no matter his protests to the contrary.

I smiled when I thought of his defiant face as he told me he would find me anywhere. My chest clenched as I remembered Geri's declaration of love from the day before. Kent was not worthy of her love but I understood how he received it. Geri would be doubly heartbroken if she ever discovered his disinterest. I sighed and looked back at my sister. 

She had the book open in front of her face, her tongue stuck out in concentration. Just as I turned back to the window I saw her smile and turn the page. It was only a matter of time before that oaf fell in love with her brightness but until that time I would have to be extra cautious.

"Good morning, Geraldine." I head Edi say as she entered the room. "Good morning Charity." I turned to smile at the older woman but faced the window again without comment.

I heard Geri's book close and the rustle of fabric as Edi sat down, "Good morning," Geri said brightly.

"How are you feeling this morning?" Edi asked, her voice full of concern.

"Well enough." Geri replied. "I shall be good in a day or two. Luckily it was nothing too serious." 

"Indeed. It gave us a great fright, but your father and my son rushed off before I quite knew what was happening." Edi said almost breathlessly.

"Lord Kent needn't have worried himself, I was tell taken care of." Geri said bashfully. I could hear the pleasure in her voice and felt that same familiar clenching around my heart. I frowned, trying to discern what was wrong with me.