55. A welcomed gift

:::Charity:::

I woke with an aching back and growling stomach, the bed of lumpy mattress and mass of dresses made a very poor place to relax. I didn't have a window in my room so I couldn't tell what time it was. There wasn't even a candle with which to dispel the darkness. I moved from the floor to sit on the trunk. As the hours passed in anonymity my anger rose to a point where I prepared to wage war with a fierceness of spirit that would render Ursula speechless in the face of my unwavering resolve. I smiled at my own determination and felt much better, I would live to see my enemy defeated.

I heard the jingle of keys and laughed that I'd never bothered to check if I could have left the night before or not. The door opened and the intruder stepped in with a three post candle stick and even this light blinded me. "I see you're awake." I heard Ursula snap as more people, at least two, followed her into the room. "I've a lot to tend to as this gathering truly starts." As my eyes adjusted to the bright gloom I saw her staring malevolently at me, two large and rough looking women stood behind her. Her jaw hitched in annoyance as she looked over the room. "Did you sleep well?" She asked.

I laughed and nodded my head. "Most certainly, like a dream. I've had some time to think about it and I'm determined to be happy and enjoy myself." I could tell my tone aggravated her.

She perked up and looked behind her. "That is lovely resolve, dear. I've brought the only help I could spare to you for this morning at least. This is Mary and Elizabeth, they will help you get dressed." Ursula handed the candle stick to one of the two women and walked to the other side of the small room. She bent and retrieved one of the terrible dresses. She traded the day dress for her candles and spoke to the women. "Take her next door and don't leave until she's ready. You have your orders. When you are finished she's to come back here and wait."

The women nodded and Ursula left the room. I stood from the trunk and faced my newest jailers. "I'm ready to be wrangled." I said with a cheerful smile. With the last vestige of courage I had, I stepped out of the room and waited for them to meet me. 

"We've been told you must wear this, puppet, and we're to get you into it no matter what. You can do yourself if you want." One of them spoke in a firm but kind tone.

I took a deep breath and smiled at her in the lighter room. "I guess I'm to be deprived of the garment as well? To the fire with the rest of my things?" The women looked guiltily away and I stripped myself down to my undergarments in a few quick minutes. I said a silent goodbye as the dress was taken with the last of my hope for dignity. 

The room next door was nothing more than a small water closet. It had a basin of fresh water in which I was instructed to wash my face and body. I complied hastily and was invigorated by the cold water rather than frozen solid.  

The two women pulled the green tent over my head and pulled my arms through what I could only assume were sleeves. The dress had a peculiar design that had the first layer squeezing my entire body with buttons and strings to the point I could barely breathe. The top layer was like a sac and covered me in a bumpy and formless manner that made me appear five sizes bigger. When everything was as good as it could get I was shown to a large mirror against the wall opposite the small window.

My first look into the mirror I focused my gaze outside. The sun was shining brightly enough past the dirty window that I knew it was at least two hours passed sunrise. I closed my eyes as my reflection drew my attention. Geri and my father would love me no matter what. Edi, Amelia, Brandan and even Preston accepted me as a companion and friend despite my parentage. I didn't want to contemplate what Kent would think, I shook him from my head. I could make it through this with them.

I finally opened my eyes and laughed, shocking the other two occupants in the room. I looked ridiculous. The green fabric ballooned out at every point save my neck, wrists and waist, at which points the voluminous fabric was clinched by vibrant orange ribbon and lace. I looked like a rotting vegetable. I shook my head and reminded myself these people didn't matter. I turned to the women and noticed the pair of orange shoes in one of their hands. I could see the noticeable size difference from my shoes bound for the fire. I winced and reached forward to grab them. I pulled the too narrow shoes over my feet and felt the pinch in my toes and heel. The pain became almost numb when I put my weight down.