77. After all this time

:::Kent:::

I cleared my throat and crossed my arms over my chest. Wedding were a taxing enough adventure without making everyone wait. I looked down the slowly filling pews of the small church. Brandan had chosen this country parsonage because it was close to his estate and because he had little enough family. The church was mainly full with the locals who were too curious to stay in bed. 

Preston, Edith and Amelia sat in the front with the girl child that was the rector's daughter. I hid the smirk on my face as I caught my father's eye. I could see his disappointment in the pull of his lips into a frown. I knew despite his happiness for Brandan that he wished I were the one offering myself on the altar or wedded bliss. I could no more imagine that in my future than he could. Truth be told the only reason I escaped this prison for so long was because of an agreement struck just last year. If I refuse any previous vice I could maintain my freedom.

I looked over to where Bastion's wife sat. I was happy to have this chapter of my life officially closed. I could bury the past in the past and leave it there. Leave Charity there. With Brandan and Geraldine's wedding finally happening, we would all have no choice but to move on. Brandan would take his wife to their house and Bastion would stay in his home. I would be able to breathe without having a constant reminder around every corner. Charity was gone and I needed to find a way out of the constant drowning. 

I snapped out of my musing by a commotion at the entrance of the church. I looked around but both Brandan and Bastion were still missing. I ground my teeth in annoyance as I stalked down the aisle to assist John with this interruption. The open church doors made the people trying to force their way inside into shadowed figures and I stepped around the small group to close the door. I turned back to four ice blue stars and I felt my anger spark at the sight of them. "What are you doing here?" I asked in disgust. 

"I see your manner has not improved." The Countess said in her cruel voice, her nose in the air. 

"As I recall you were forbidden from attended this blessed union." I looked over the four faces and smiled wickedly at Kesler's crocked nose. I could tell from the looks in their eyes that none of the men wished to be in attendance. 

"Blessed because it isn't with you." The Countess snapped, crossing her arms over her small chest. "To think my poor granddaughter was almost forced to marry the lowly son of a fisherman!"

I felt my brow raise in annoyance. "That lowly fisherman happens to be the Earl of Preston." I said defiantly.

"Either way," She dismissed me with a wave of her hand. "You were born a wretched soul with tainted blood and Geraldine is lucky the Duke found her." She looked around bored. "After this though Geraldine will have rid her life of all filth."

My fists clenched in anger at her casual mention of the havoc Charity's disappearance caused her sister, caused everyone. Even after all this time I still rose to my angel's defense with vigor and it sickened me. "Count Ivan, I suggest you escort your impetuous wife from this building before she causes a scene." My voice was as cold and hard as steel as I regarded the older man.

"I will not be dismissed by the likes of you!" The Countess said as she took an angry step forward. 

"Then allow me.." I heard Brandan's bored voice from over my shoulder. "You are forbidden from this ceremony and will remove yourself from this building or I will remove you myself." I stepped aside to allow Brandan better access to his quarry. "Furthermore," He said with cold fury, "you will cease all contact and association with my wife or I will bring your son before the magistrate for the events that transpired the year previous."

I smiled as the color drained from their faces and after a few sputtered unintelligent words, the Countess and family marched out of the church. And, presumably, Geraldine's life. I turned to my friend and clapped him on the back. "Marriage certainly brings the beast out in you."