35. Something amiss

:::Kent:::

I grimaced as I recited the events of the day before to Brandan. He sat across from me in disbelief, his green eyes puzzled. "What do you make of it then?" He asked after a prolonged silence. 

"Just as I told you, the woman aims to separate Geraldine from me." I said trying not to lose my temper.

Brandan rolled his eyes and smiled, all too familiar with my moods to be put off by them. "If she came here with the purpose of separating Geraldine from you, then she must have decided this before hand."

"And?" I prompted when he remained silent. 

"Why have such a big event planned for something you don't support?" He asked, his brow raised in question.

I watched him for a moment. "You are right-"

"Naturally." He interrupted with a cheeky smile on his face.

I ignored him and continued, my mood dark. "And I will ask the dear grandmother myself when next I get the chance." I would not find the chance with my mother in the room. I had watched enough of the Countess to know I only stood a chance at an honest answer if I asked her when we were alone. Or as alone as we would ever be. She rarely left Geraldine's side and her son, one of them, rarely left his mother's side.

Amelia came bouncing into the silence of the room. "There you are Kent," she said breathlessly. As each day grew closer to this ball, Amelia's excitement grew. "I've been looking everywhere for you."

"Whatever for?" I asked, still annoyed.

"I want you to show me how to dance again. I've been practicing but I never remember the right steps."

I snarled at her and crossed my arms over my chest. "Not right now."

Amelia's face fell and as if we both expected he'd do it, Brandan rose to his feet. He stepped away from the wall and offered Amelia his hand. My sister smiled and took it, he pulled her against his body and together they pranced around the room. Amelia laughed as she was swung about by a master. I grimaced again when I realized how popular she would be at the event with her fresh faced beauty and easy laughter.

Their dance came to an end and we were all shocked by clapping that sounded in the doorway. "How beautifully you dance, my dear!"The Countess exclaimed, reaching her hands out to grasp Amelia's. Amelia held onto the wretched woman's claw, unaware of how vile the grandmother really was. 

Geraldine and my mother stood awkwardly behind the Countess. Edith brought her fist to her mouth and coughed lightly. The Countess smiled back at the door and moved aside to let them through. "Good afternoon mother, my dear. I trust everything goes well with the loathsome woman?" I asked and bemusedly wondered who they would answer about. The Countess or the dressmaking hag.

Geraldine laughed and took her customary position in one of the chairs in the middle of the room. She picked her book up from the table on its side and smiled brilliantly at me. "I fared well enough today, half as many pin pricks as the time before and she only jabbed me once."

Edith laughed and sat down next to her. "I think the benefits will outweigh the problems."

"Oh, indeed. The dress is lovely." Geraldine exclaimed.

The grandmother sat so I could see her profile and joined the conversation uninvited. "It is prefectly adequate. Geraldine would have much better if only she would have asked for it."

I raised my brow at Brandan as he finally made his way back to his chair across from me. 

"Nonsense, Grandmother." My Lady responded with a slight edge to her voice. "I shall love this dress as no other. It is my first of its kind and will therefore always hold a special place in my heart."