Lovers & Friends | Thirty-three

Two months. That's how long it's been since I spoke or seen Alex. It was hard not pulling out my phone to call him when something exciting happen or go over to his house whenever I was bored and needed someone to hang out with.

I can't believe our friendship came to this. I missed when I was the girl who babysat Aiden while he worked or went out. Life was a lot less complicated back then.

Avery is fussing and I wake with a jolt, who needs an alarm clock when I have a one year old?

Wow.

One.

How did all those months pass so quickly? I could've sworn I was just taking her home from the hospital yesterday. Flashes of her birth comes to mind and the picture of Trey holding his princess in his arms for the first time isn't too far behind. I miss him and I can't wait til I see him tonight.

Avery stops the fussing and goes to full on crying and I fling the covers off of me and rush to her room. She's fine- thank the heavens- but she's still standing up holding onto the railing of her crib while crying out for me. She stops once she sees me but bounces up and down impatiently until she's in my arms.

"Awe, you're okay beautiful." I coo, bouncing her up and down gently while rubbing her back. She babbles something I don't understand before pulling her head back to stare at my face.

I smile. "Happy Birthday Avery!" I sing, pressing kisses all over her chubby face. She giggles and tries to grab a hold of my faces. "Happy Birthday!" I repeat again and nibble on her cheeks. She laughs harder and I take a moment to enjoy the sound that's music to my ears. "Come on, let's get you ready birthday girl."

It took practically all day, but eventually everything was done. There were pink, white, and black decorations everywhere. The theme was baby Minnie Mouse and I had to admit I went a little overboard, but then again nothing was too much for Avery.

I can hear the doorbell ringing amongst the loud kid-friendly music and all the guest that arrived; a mixture of friends and family and their kids. My heart leaps out of my chest at the thought of seeing Trey again after all these months and I hope I look good. Smiling widely, I reach for the knob and twist.

It wasn't Trey.

It wasn't anyone... but there was a large pink bag on the front steps. Confused but curious, I bend down and peek inside the bag to see a bag full of designer baby clothes. There's a small white note on top of all it and I open it.

It says: Thinking of my favorite girl on this big day. Happy Birthday lil mama.- Uncle Alex.

I close the note and place it back inside the bag and step back inside the house. I wasn't expecting that from Alex. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised since he adores Avery and loves being an uncle.

Maybe I can just send him a quick thank you text, I say to myself. What's the harm in that? I take a step towards the stairs to get my phone where I left it in my room but the doorbell ringing again stops me.

I open the door, fully expecting to see Alex in person but what I get instead is the beautiful sight of my husband. He stands there dressed casually in a pair of dark jeans and a dark grey tee with his suitcase standing by his feet.

"Hey."

"Trey!" I squeal before throwing myself at him. Trey stumbles backwards but manages to catch me and stop himself from falling over. I wrap my legs and arms around him and he chuckles but his grip on me tightens. I pull back just enough to give the kiss I've been dying to give him all these months. Trey is quick to respond, kissing me back just as intently before pulling away.