Chapter Fifty-Four: The Honesty Game

Start from the beginning

"I don't know the date, but it was. Tuesday. Right after school. We got bored and decided to do it," he replied with a shrug.

We all burst into laughter. I took a bite of my hot dog before seeing Reese's expression from the corner of my eye. To me he seemed like a normal guy who was having a great time with friends.

It was the first time I had seen him be normal.

"Since you answered the question, you get to ask the next person."

Bronx nodded. He looked around before looking towards Nikki. "How bout you, Nikki? Have you and Dylan gone touchy touchy?" he smirked.

"Yeah. Have you?" Maddie asked.

Nikki blushed. "Once. When you and mom and dad weren't home. I guess we just wanted to experiment," she smiled.

Maddie scrunched her face up. "It better not have been in my room!"

We all continued to play the game until it came to down to Andrew asking Reese. He would have to pick me after and I wasn't prepared for any questions that could leave his mouth.

"How many times has the player of our school fallen in love?" he asked.

Everyone looked around while I gave them puzzling looks. What was up now?

"You already know," Reese mumbled as he scratched the back of his neck.

I didn't know, though. . .

"Just answer the question," he insisted.

Reese shook his head before standing up. "Not answering it." He went back inside before I felt my stomach turn.

"I guess the night's over," Maddie muttered.

I stood up before Summer grabbed my arm to yank me down. How was she so strong?

"Don't screw up, would ya?" she said.

I nodded my head while rolling my eyes. She let go of my arm before I went inside. My heart was drumming against my chest as I took in a breath. Why was I so nervous?

Reese was sitting on the bed with his hands over his eyes before seeing me. "Shouldn't you be out there?"

"I could ask you the same thing," I replied.

He scoffed. "I got tired."

"It looked like you got annoyed."

"Well I'm fine now."

"You don't look fine," I mumbled.

Reese shook his head again. "I'm going to take a shower."

Right when he was about to leave, I had to ask because I needed to know. "Have you ever been in love?"

Reese stopped at the bathroom door, his grip on the handle caused his knuckles to turn white.

He let out a harsh sigh before saying, "No." He left, making the anger boiling in my blood rise inside me.

He had the chance to tell me. He had the chance to tell me how he felt. That idiot!

I couldn't even insult him the way I wanted to.

"I hate him," I muttered to myself.

I finally went downstairs after five minutes to find something to entertain me. Everyone was already in their rooms, probably messing around.

Outside the fire we had made was still crackling when I saw Luke sitting on a lawn chair, bringing a beer bottle to his lips.

"Whatcha doing out here alone?" I asked, almost causing him to drop his beer.

"Gosh," he muttered. He looked up at me before smiling. "Well thanks for the scare."

"I didn't even try," I joked.

I sat beside him in the other lawn chair, putting my knees up to my chest. I saw the two empty bottles of beer in the table that lied in front of Luke.

"Why are you out here?"

He shrugged. "If you haven't noticed, I'm the loner one in the group," he chuckled before taking another sip.

"So the lone wolf?"

"Pretty much."

I laughed softly. The air was getting more rigid as each second passed. "How are you not cold?"

Luke was still wearing his trunks with a white tee on. "I got used to it."

The fire cackled.

I brought the end of the sleeves from Reese's hoodie to my fingers, the scent of him making me feel warm. Luke sat up, facing towards me this time before I looked at him.

He continued to stare before getting closer to me, our faces inches away as I let in a sharp breath.

What the hell was I doing?

"Luke," I whispered before he kissed me.

I could feel myself hesitate before giving in. He cupped my face in his hands before I leaned closer, my arms almost wrapping around his neck before we heard the door slam.

We both pulled back as I turned around, seeing if anyone had seen us. All I could see was a huge blur in front of me while my stomach turned.

"Um. . . I'm getting tired," I lied.

Luke nodded his head before mumbling goodnight.

I quickly ran inside, my anxiety going up as I processed everything that I had just done. Why did I kiss him!? Why did I kiss Luke!?

I didn't even feel anything for him but friendship type of feelings.

So why the hell did you kiss him?, I thought to myself.

"I don't know. . ."

Once I shut myself in the room I found Reese lying on the couch, sound asleep. The more I stared at him the more I wanted to punch myself.

What was the point anymore?

I almost wanted to cry.

Instead I went to the bathroom before taking a long, warm shower to get my mind off things. But nothing helped. All I could think was the mistake I made and the regret pouring down on me.

At the end I was sitting beside the toilet with tears streaming down my cheeks. This is why I needed to take my pills.

More tears poured down as I stood up, looking at myself in the mirror. My hands began shaking as the images appeared in my head.

Why did I have to have a nervous breakdown right now?

My shaking hands grabbed my head, whispering to myself that everything was going to be okay.