Chapter Twenty-Two: Proposals

A/N

This chapter may suck, and I may be updating late, buying tried! Today was super stressful because of a quiz and my presentation.

Apparently, I didn't have any! It got all better when I watched Civil War, and you guys should watch it too. It's amazing!

Please read, vote, comment, and enjoy.

Next Update: Tuesday
******

His Broken Angel

Chapter Twenty-Two: Proposals

Two weeks had passed since I barely found out that Homecoming was coming up. Apparently the boys were supposed to be asking out their girls anytime during this one week.

I knew that Reese and I would end up going, but I also knew that he'd ask me out in an extravagant way.

I pulled my book out of my locker before slamming it shut when smirking twins appeared beside me. "Hi?" I said.

"Come on! We gotta take you somewhere!" they both squealed. I could only follow their lead as they dragged me outside into the PE field.

A couple of students in our grade were there, there were even younger students circling around the field as I felt a blindfold wrap around my head. "Hey!" I protested.

"Oh shut up," Nikki joked.

I was pushed into what seemed the center of the field when I felt arms being wrapped around my waist. His minty breath fanned against my neck as he whispered into my ear. "Look surprised for me, alright Sweetheart?"

All of a sudden the lights came back on when I saw a huge poster in front of me, a couple of guys in the gang and football team holding it up. It read: Will you go to Homecoming with me, Sweetheart?;)

The wink at the end made my heart skip a beat. Oh god, I thought. Oh god. . . At first I stood there, looking dumbfounded at the huge poster in front of me. He had to use my favorite color too. Damn idiot.

The crowd behind us cheered as I saw from the corner of my eye that the twins were holding a thumbs-up at me. If only I could tell them the truth. I've been wanting to for so long! This lie has been weighing me down for what seemed like forever

"So, Sweetheart? Are you going with me? Yes or no?" Reese whispered in my ear.

My throat felt dry all of a sudden. I couldn't say a word but nod in shock. The crowd's cheering grew louder when they saw my acceptance. Reese pulled me into a hug as I tried to hide the shame from my face.

According to Student Mind's, an offer like this was supposed to mean something important for someone. But I felt like this was a mistake. A mistake that I wasn't able to fix. In the pit of my stomach I felt sick, as if I wanted to throw up right now.

With Reese's arms around me and the crowd cheering behind us, I felt sicker than ever.

After the whole thing was over, Maddie and Nikki were planning on taking me to the mall tomorrow so we could find a dress. Though I pulled off a smile they still noticed something was wrong with me.

"I'm fine," I lied as we lined up in the lunch line.

Both switched glances at each other. "You don't seem so happy about the homecoming proposal from Reese. What's going on, Maggie?"

I refused to tell them as I bit my lip. Why did lies feel so overwhelming!? Maybe because you're lying to your friends Maggie! Maybe that's why. God, I hated myself.

"I'm still shocked, that's all." With a simple shrug I grabbed the tray from the lunch lady and sped away to the table. Only Summer and Bronx were there. Their arms around each other made me sick inside.

"I saw Reese's homecoming proposal," Summer smiled. It appeared genuine looking at least.

My immediate response to say a small yeah, but then I scowled at her before slamming my tray on the table, some of my fries flying off. I ignored their stares and ate my food quickly. My nails dug into the palm of my hands as I tried to control myself.

There's something wrong, I thought. I had no idea why I was acting this way. Why I was acting so. . .strange. Like I wasn't myself for one second, my panic and anxiety took over, and then I'd return to my normal self. The cycle would repeat all over again.

That homecoming proposal had made me nervous for some reason. It was a simple asking out that I'd expected to happen sooner or later. So why did I feel so crappy? Shouldn't I be happy or at least fake to be happy?

Reese appeared a few minutes later with a smile plastered on his face. I returned a small one before finishing the last crumbs of leftover fries on my tray. I guess he noticed my nervousness since he took me out into the PE field, the place reminding me of what happened earlier.

Reese sat in front of my as I stared down at my feet. He tried to lean close to me, but I lowered my head even more until my hair cascaded over my face. At any minute I felt like tears would spill. What the hell was even happening with my emotions right now?

"Maggie," he said in a soft voice. "What's wrong?"

I tried my best to choke back my sobs, but they came out. So did the words. "It's not fair, Reese! I mean, what we're doing. It's not fair that we're taking this as if it were a joke. This lie is going too far and it's growing on me. It's making me feel bad and I'm sick of the lies. . ." My voice faltered at the end.

Reese sighed. "Why didn't you tell me you felt this way. I could've. . .ya know. Ended this."

But I don't want it to end. "I can't lie to my friends anymore. Not to Maddie or Nikki, at least. And not my family either. I hate lying to them."

"Look, you can tell the twins the whole truth. Everything. As long as they keep it a secret, if they don't then I'll get them back."

"How?"

"I'll just get them back. They know what I can do anyways. But your family, Sweetheart, we still can't tell them."

I felt the anger boil inside me. "What?" I let out harshly.

"You can't tell them, yet. If I haven't told my folks, then you can't tell yours."

"Your sister knows."

"Because it's Raven. She finds out about everything."

The anger began to build up more. "So you have the right to have your sister know but I can't even have my own family know? What the hell do you think they'll do? Go tell your parents so you can be punished for your stupid mistake!"

I stood up from the bleachers and began to walk down until Reese's hand grabbed my wrist, pulling me forward into his embrace. By now I had tears streaming down my cheeks.

His fingers combed through my hazel locks as I sobbed into his chest, the warmness of his embrace making me melt.

What was going on with me? I didn't feel myself whenever I was with Reese. I felt like somebody completely different. Someone who wasn't that broken girl, but that normal one. That girl that was right for Reese Matthews.

And even if I tried to push the thoughts away, they always found a way to crawl back to me. Because I knew that I wasn't Reese Matthews' girl.