“Mom! I get it! Whatever! I know, I’ll go right after this! Yeah I get it! Bye Danni!” he said into his phone. His voice sounded strangely familiar to me.

      “Sorry about that,” he said to me, “My mom’s just unbelievably annoy- Elle?!”

      “Huh?” I said, turning around to face none other than NICK ROSS. The same Nick Ross I had fallen in love with. The same Nick Ross I had known since kindergarten. And the same Nick Ross who had left me to go skiing. All the color drained from my face.

      We locked eyes, and I was overwhelmed with the emotions I was feeling. Anger? Hatred? Sorrow? Confusion? Love? Content? Desire? Distaste? I didn’t know, they were all jumbled together in one big mess. All the memories we shared, started racing through my mind. I waited to see if he would forfeit by looking away first, but being Nick, he did no such thing. I made the first move, and blinked to get out of the intense gaze. I hate making eye contact with people. 

      “Elle, I’ve missed you so much!” he said. I bit my bottom lip, as a tear made its way from the corner of his eye. Is Nick Ross seriously crying? No. Couldn’t be. I didn’t believe it.

      “Nick,” I said, not sure of how to react properly.

      “I told you I’d be back,” he said, embracing me. His huge arms attacked me, and he drew me in to a passionate hug. Can hugs even be passionate? Probably not. I returned the gesture by wrapping my arms loosely around him. I couldn’t keep it up, I had missed him too much, and besides, it’s just a hug- nothing more.

      “I’ve missed you Nick,” I admitted. 

      “I know. I’ve missed you too,” he said, rubbing my back.

      “Next!” the cute counter boy said. I noticed that I was next and let go of Nick to go order.

      “Hey Blake,” I said.

      “Hi Elle, what can I get for you and your giant of a friend?” He looked up at Nick disapprovingly.

      “This is Nick, and I’ll take an iced coffee, and he’ll have a mocha frappuccino.”

      “How do you know that’s what I want?” Nick asked.

      “It’s a lucky guess,” I said, rolling my eyes.

      “I bet.”

      “Is that all? Can I interest you in dinner with me on Sunday?” Blake asked. Nick snorted in response.

      “Um… Blake, I’d love to but my roommate’s moving in, and we really need to make sure they’re settled.”

      “Oh, okay.”

      “Maybe another time though, okay?”

      “Promise?” he asked, his eyes pleading.

      “Uh... promise,” I said, swiping my credit card through the machine. He handed me our drinks, and I took a packet of sugar. I gave Nick his cup, and left the store with him following . Nick Ross is back. I just got Nick Ross coffee... well not really coffee, but same thing. That’s a lot to take in, and I don’t know how I feel about it. 

Nick

      “So Elle, how have you been?” I asked causually, admiring her gorgeous figure. I remembered a girl who was pretty, but after not seeing her for an entire year, she looked ever more incredible.

      “Good,” she said, taking a leisurely sip of her coffee.

      “So are you… ya know, in a relationship?” I asked, praying the answer was no.

      “Uh… kind of.” My heart sank.

      “Oh, with who?”

      She hesitated, “Jake.”

      “Jake…”

      “Anderson.”

      “Phillip’s older brother? Your brother’s best friend? My brother’s best friend?” I was shocked, as jealousy stabbed my unprotected heart. I was not expecting that. Don’t be emotional Nick- it let’s people see a side that should be hidden. Besides, you know her heart’s still with you.

      “Yeah,” she said, looking down, “how about you?”

      “Single,” I said, “well kind of.”

      “Oh, do elaborate on that.” Now it was her turn to feel a pang of envy.

      “Well, there’s this girl, and I promised her that I’d marry her one day. She’s amazing, smart, funny, clever, and beautiful. I’m kind of in love with her. You might know her, her name’s Elle,” I said, grinning. She smiled a little, clearly remembering the promise I had made.

      “Yeah, I think I might know her,” she said.

      “So, do you think she’s still into me?”

      “I think her life’s really too complicated right now to determine that, and also her boyfriend might not be the happiest person in the world if you told him that.”

      “Well, I know her boyfriend pretty well, I’m sure I can talk to him for her.”

      “I’m sure you can. Just give her a little time... to think things over.”

      “Sure, I’ll wait as long as she needs.”

      “Such a sweet boy.”

      “I know. I really love this girl, do you think she feels the same way?”

      “I think she feels very... confused...”

      “I can live with that. Now, I really have to go, I left my car back there, but we’re totally seeing each other again, okay?”

      “Sure,” she sighed.

      “Okay, bye... for now, but I promise, I’ll never say that word to you again.”

      “Okay Nick, I have to get back too, bye,” she said, walking away for what would hopefully be the only time.

      “Wait!” I called after her, running over.

      “What?!” she asked, alarmed.

      “I forgot something,” I said.

      “You forgot something?”

      “Yeah.”

      “What?”

      “This,” I said, kissing her on the cheek.

      “Bye Nick,” she blushed, rolling her eyes, and walking away again.

      “Bye Elle,” I said, beaming to myself.

      “Oh and Nick,” she called, turning her head back to me.

      “Yeah?”

      “Please keep your lips to yourself.”

      “I’ll try babe,” I said, smirking. Yeah right. Elle Paterson you don’t know how happy I am to see you. You’ve entered my life once again, and this time, I’m not letting you go. I can’t.