Chapter Thirty-Eight: Someone's Jealous

Start from the beginning

With that he was gone in half a second. I smirked to myself while laughing a bit. But then I stopped. I was not going to enjoy this.

Reese had just stated it. Stated the freakin truth! Just friends and just friends it'll stay and remain.

I sighed to myself before seeing a nurse coming my way. "Are you Harry Rosewood's daughter?" she asked.

I nodded.

"He wants to see you. Follow me, please."

We went down a few doors before standing in front of one with the window's curtains wide open.

There lay Harry with his IV impaled into his skin, his really pale skin. God. How long had it been since I'd seen him.

With a shaky hand I opened the door before making eye contact with him. His eyes were droopy, looking colder than ever but still managing to look a little alive.

"Hi, Harry," I mumbled quietly.

"Hey," he groaned.

I sat beside him in the chair while taking his hand in mine. They were cold and dry, making mine feel clammy.

"I'm really sorry I haven't came earlier. I really don't have any excuse-"

"It's fine," he interrupted, "I'm just happy with you being here."

He tried his best to smile, but I retuned it quickly before frowning.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm not sure if you've herd about Claire. . ."

Harry let out a shaky sigh that came out raspy at the end. "I did. Alex told me. . . It kinda sucks that I woke up before her. She hates being second in anything," he chuckled lightly.

I tried my best to smile but the frown and sadness hidden behind it was clear. "Are you feeling better?" I asked, wanting to change the subject.

"A little. I'm definitely better than I was when I woke up." The smiling didn't seem to pass too quickly with him. "There's definitely something wrong with you. What happened?"

"Nothing happened-"

"Maggs. I don't like it when you lie. Now tell me what happened because I'm not feeling so good right now."

If he was trying to make me feel guilty for not wanting to tell him, it was working. "Just stupid teen drama in my life," I sighed.

"Stupid teen drama? Alex never mentioned that. And I mean never."

That one I managed to laugh a little at. "Pretty much."

"Is it about Reese?"

"Why does everyone think it's Reese? Couldn't you have said that is it about a friend? Or just a lot of stress in your life because of school in general? No! You say Reese!"

Harry tried to hide his smile before bursting into laughter. He winced a bit but continued to laugh until the pain stopped him. "I-I'm sorry. But that's the most I've ever gotten out of you!"

I opened my mouth to form a huge "o" while shaking my head. "Is that all you wanted to do? To get all that out of me?" I chuckled.

"Did it work? You have to feel less stressed."

"Maybe. . . But yes, it's about Reese."

"What happened?"

"We kind of broke up." My voice came out squeakier than I expected. This made Harry laugh even more.

"You seem scared by telling me that. . . Why?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. It seemed pretty nerve wrecking."

"Nerve wrecking? That's new. But tell me though, what happened between you guys that made you break up?"

I bit my lip, fumbling with my hands. "We moved too fast. I was new and we had barely met. It was too fast and that's how it ended. Now we're just getting to know each other."

"How long did you guys even meet before dating?"

"A week. . ."

"A week?" he blurted with shock in his tone. "Damn. It really takes a week to start dating someone now?"

"I don't know," I scoffed. "He just asked me out and I really liked him. That's all."

"And do you still like him?"

"No. . . Um, I don't know! It's complicated."

"That's what every person says when they get out of a relationship that really, they wish had never ended."

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

"You're saying that this whole thing is complicated. You say that you don't like him anymore," he started.

"O.K.?"

"Well. . . Seems to me that you still like him."

"By saying that it's complicated?"

"You didn't answer the question with a lot of trust in yourself. You said no because it was like you had to."

"Is this all crap that you read from a teen magazine or something?" I mumbled.

"No," he replied, "but Maggs, you still like that boy. And you know it."

For a second I felt like firing something back, but I couldn't think of anything to fire back. Not that I didn't fully understand what HarRy had said, because I really hadn't. He always spoke nonsense, and after this accident, it seemed like hE spoke more.

No offense, Harry.

I did understand that last part, though.

Did I like Reese?