Chapter Twenty-Nine: You Need Help

Comenzar desde el principio

There were tear stains on it, making me scratch the palm of my hands. I almost scratched my eyes to stop the tears from coming, but I say up straight and cried even more.

The feeling of cutting was burning inside me, almost overwhelming for me. There was a teeny tiny voice in the back of my head that continued to yell Cut! as my hands pulled at my hair.

A call on my phone made me jump. My shaky hand picked it up slowly. Looking at the Caller ID, I saw it was Nikki. I gulped down a lump in my throat before clearing it.

"Hello?"

"You have got to come over!" she piped. "Maddie is being an ass and doesn't want to get up from bed!"

I looked at the clock. It was barely eleven. How lazy was she? "As in come right now?"

"Yes! Hurry. I'm dying of boredom!" Nikki hung up before I could even say yes.

I didn't feel like going downstairs and showing my red, puffy face to anyone. Alex has already seen it, much more actually.

My fingers pried the lock off my window, pulling it up carefully before sliding out. I landed on the balls of my feet before walking up. My hands pulled up my head until it covered part of my face.

It was pretty gloomy today. It almost looked like it would start to rain.

Pretty soon I arrived at the twins' house. The door looked open, but I knocked either way. Nikki appeared sighing with a frown on her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

She pulled me in without saying a word. She dragged me upstairs and into Maddie's room where she was buried underneath her covers, a tear falling down her cheek.

I walked to her slowly, glancing at her before she hid her face. "Go away!" she sobbed.

I mouthed a 'what's wrong with her?' to Nikki who was biting her nails off. "Maddie?" I asked while kneeling down. "Please tell me what's wrong?"

"I said to go away!"

A sigh escaped my lips. "I'm not until you tell me."

She peeked from the covers, enough for me to see her glassy blue eyes. "Look in my dresser. Second drawer."

So I did what I was told. Nikki peered over my shoulder while I rummaged through her sock drawer until my eyes grew wide. Nikki gasped behind me when I realized that Maddie had sat up in her bed.

She had tears running down her cheeks. "Now you know what's wrong with me," she mumbled.

I took out the pregnancy test steadily, my eyes examining the whole thing. "How even?" I let out baffled.

"Your seriously asking me that?"

"I know how it happens!" I yelped. "It's just. . . Maddie?"

She rolled her eyes. "We used protection-"

"Sometimes it doesn't work," Nikki cut in.

Her sister let out a grunt. "It should say that somewhere!"

"It does," I retorted. "On the package!"

She let out a small oh before slumping onto her bed. "I can't be pregnant. . ." Maddie covered her face with her hands, little sobs escaping her lips. "I can't be!"

Nikki sat beside her while trying to comfort her. I still stared at the test before placing it down. "You should take another one. Sometimes these things can be wrong-"

"Just like the damn condom," muttered Maddie. "What else is trustworthy?"

"Blood test?" Nikki suggested.

I nodded my head along with her idea. "Those can be true. I wouldn't trust this stick, even if my life depended on it."

"They mail those things. Mom nor Dad can ever find out about this."

"They don't. You can always pick up the results there. You just have to ask."

"And what will they think? Oh, it's just another sixteen-year-old girl who's pregnant!?" Maddie blurted.

I rolled my eyes. "Who cares what they think. Just do the damn blood test."

"That way we'll be sure," Nikki added. We both smiled sincerely at her. She finally returned the smile before her sister asked, "Does Matt know?"

Maddie's eyes widened as she grew frantic. "Hell no! He can't know-"

"If you're pregnant, then he has the right. But we can't scare him right now. Not like how you got scared," I mumbled the last part.

"We'll see. . ."