Chapter 28 - Letting Go

CHAPTER 28

Letting Go

     I didn’t leave Harry’s side. Not even for a second. I was there when they hauled him inside the ambulance. I was there to hold his hand on the way to the fucking hospital. I was there, shouting, even though they told me that I could come not inside the ICU.

     “I need to be there for him! Please!” I found myself screaming as my father hugged me from behind.

     “No ma’am. You will only distract the doctors. Please just wait out here. We’ll do the best we can to save Mr. Styles” A woman was telling me, trying to push me back in my father’s arms.

     I was exhausted.

     I collapsed on the floor, feeling every pressure inside me. The woman shot me a concerned look. She asked my father a question. My father nodded his head as if he understood everything. Oh God. My chest hurts. My breathing came in loud gasps as I clutched my chest with my hands. The woman nodded and disappeared to help in assisting Harry’s operation. Tears were streaming down my face, effectively making me look like a zombie as the eyeliner and mascara turned into liquid.

     “Lizzie, come on sweetie. Stand up” Daddy said softly.  

     I followed his advice and stood up. As soon as I did so, I sobbed on his chest. There are certain times when I admit to myself that I need my father in my life.

     I could hear my father’s voice softly whisper comforting words in my ear. This time, he was telling me that my boyfriend can make it; that they will get the bullet out of his body without affecting one of his organs. I have no idea whether I should believe him. I saw Harry go down with my own eyes. The shot was still ringing in my ears, making me cringe at the memory.

     “Elizabeth” A deep voice made me look up and gaze into deep brown eyes. Hot teardrops started falling faster.

     I wasn’t the one who can lose Harry.

     There was his family.

     His fans.

     His brothers…from One Direction.

     “Liam” I croaked out. I removed myself from my father’s arms and engulfed the sobbing man in my arms. “I am so sorry. So sorry”

     My apology doesn’t even cut anything. Everything was my fault. It’s my fault that Harry is inside the fucking ICU being operated on. My psycho ex-boyfriend was the one who tried to kill him.

     “Why are you apologizing?” He asked, tracing circles on my back.

     I pulled away and wiped my tear-stained face. From the corner of my eyes, I could faintly see the smudge marks of make-up in my hands. I sniffed. “Lee, you know what all of this is my fault”

     “It’s not! Why would you think that?” Louis suddenly interrupted the conversation, grabbing me in a bear hug.

     “Everything would probably just be normal if Harry didn’t become my boyfriend…if we didn’t f—fall i—in love” The last words were very hard to say. Harry and I did fall in love. It would be dreadfully hard to imagine that we weren’t in love. I couldn’t even imagine my future without Harry in it…okay. Maybe I can. But that would involve a lot of cats and ice cream cartons.

     “No…no. Don’t say that. If anything, you’ve changed Harry for the better. He’s gone from his old flirty ways” Niall explained when Louis finally released me. A small laugh escaped from me because of Niall’s description of the old Harry. He really was a flirt.