Chapter Nine: One Kiss? Please!

Start from the beginning

"I can't enjoy one piece of bread?"

"You can if you want to be late," I muttered before getting in the car.

Reese sped off. The ride was silent once again. It kind of annoyed me. He had a mouth to talk outside, but never inside. It almost disappointed me too.

Once we got to school my anxiety level rose. The entire group was there, all of them staring at us from Reese's car. "Have you told anybody about this?" I asked before stepping out.

"It wouldn't be a surprise then," he smirked.

For a minute I glared at him until I felt someone else's glare on me.

The twins usually with their boyfriends were now crossing their arms. Nikki looked confused, but Maddie looked pissed. The other twins just gawked at the sight, the rest smiling, and wiggling their eyebrows at Reese and I.

I could tell already that this would be a great day.

Once we reached them Maddie walked away with Matt trailing behind her. Nikki smiled at us awkwardly before leaving with Dylan. "So you guys are dating or something?" Luke asked.

"Mhmm," I mumbled.

I thought that the stares would end right there, but it seemed like whichever girl was with Reese would get stared at a lot. I was the new girl here and I would have even stared too.

Reese leaned against the lockers as I took my books out. "I swear if people keep staring I will scream," I threatened.

Reese chuckled from my annoyance that seemed to amuse him. "If you want to be a good boyfriend, then help me with my books. You're not even carrying anything."

Reese shrugged before taking my books in his arms. At first I looked at him puzzled, but let the feeling go. Once we got to homeroom, Reese set the books on my desk before sitting down.

I sank in my chair, sighing in distress when the stares wouldn't stop. At one point I shot a glare at this clique of girls who continued to whisper things in each other's ears.

Second period went along smoothly, but not the best either. Wherever I went Reese was there. No matter what seat I was in he managed to stay next to me. I hated being followed and knowing that this was all my fault.

If only I hadn't gone to that party, then maybe I wouldn't be stuck in this mess. Or maybe Reese would have found a way to make me do this either way. I mean he had taken us out of prison with one call just because I accepted his deal.

By lunch we were talking when I felt a glare on me. Turning my head sideways, Maddie was both glaring and knitting her eyebrows in confusion. Her stare was making me anxious inside.

Nikki leaned next to her twin before whispering something in her ear. It made Maddie glare at her now but finally stopped to stare at me.

I sighed, my fingernails scratching at the table when I saw Bridget smirking at me. She was back everybody! I glared at her until Reese's hand squeezed my shoulder, a smile actually spreading across his lips.

"I have to go," I mumbled before getting up. This time I didn't care if Reese followed me since I was going somewhere where he couldn't enter.

I locked myself in a stall, my breathing quickening as I heard the bathroom door open. He wouldn't come in here. . . Right?

"Maggie?" a perky voice said.

I rolled my eyes. It was just the bitch. "What the hell do you want?" I spat.

"I thought we were friends?"

My hand fumbled with the lock until it clicked, the stall almost hitting Bridget as I pushed it more. "You and I have never been fucking friends."

"Don't get all mad," she said before going to the mirror. Bridget took out her mascara before applying some. "I was just thinking how a messed up girl like you can get a hot guy like Reese."

"He doesn't like bitches like you," I muttered.

Bridget turned briskly around, her blue eyes narrowing at me. "What did you just say?" She stepped closer to me, this time I felt vulnerable. Bridget was still taller than me, adding the height of the heels she wore, which only made me reach her nose. "Don't think that just because you have a "boyfriend", I'll leave you alone. Because he won't always be there to protect you."

I stepped back a bit which made me stumble into the stall. My back hit the metal harshly as I let the tears slip. All the bad memories flooding my mind, the hits and insults. I heard the bathroom door close, the tears leaving my eyes. 

I took out my blade and lifted up my shirt, not caring anymore. More tears slipped as the cold metal sliced through my bare skin, blood slowly dripping to the hem of my jeans.

With a tissue I wiped the blood away with some water, wincing as soon as it hit my cuts. I made sure to pull on my hoodie to hide the blood on my clothes.

"Maggie?" Reese called out.

With one last glance at the mirror, I took a deep breath and stepped out. Reese immediately saw my red eyes and puffy nose with stained cheeks. I guess I hadn't done a good job to cover up my hot mess.

"What happened?" he asked softly, his forefinger and thumb rubbing my chin.

I felt like crying even more, but waved the matter away with my hand. "Allergies," I mumbled before the bell rang.

"I'm having practice right now if you wanna come." Reese still looked at me with worry.

"O.K."

He guided me out until we were in the PE field, the wind blowing my hair back. Reese had to change as I made my way up the bleachers.

The twins were already chatting away, but once Maddie saw me she turned her head to another direction.

I sat down across from her and just stared before blurting, "Can I know why you're upset with me? Is it because I'm dating Reese?"

"Maybe," she mumbled underneath her breath.

"Why?" Nikki nudged my shoulder as if warning me to shut up so something bad couldn't take place right now.

"He's a player Maggie. He doesn't commit to any relationship even if he tried-" Maddie was cut off when we felt the bleachers shake.

Reese was running up with sweat already pouring down his beautiful face. "Just came up for some water ladies."

After a sip he bent down and shocked me by kissing half my cheek, half my lips. "If I didn't mention this before, I'll kiss you whenever I want to," he whispered in my ear before running back down.

Maddie smirked at me.

"What?" I asked.

She sighed. "Now that I look at it, you guys don't make a bad couple."