Edmund's Other Surprise

Normal POV

Edmund pulls into the Reefside High parking lot. After he turns off the engine, Tracy quickly takes off her seatbelt. They get out, walk back inside and go to the main office and sign back in. Principal Randall walks up to them and asks, "Well, Miss Burlew, what did the doctor say?"

"That I don't have a concussion, but he wants someone to monitor me for the next 24 hours. Plus, I'm not allowed to overexert myself. He gave me an excuse note for gym class," Tracy answers.

"That's great, now get to music class young lady," Principal Randall orders.

'"Yes, Ma'am," Tracy says.

She and Edmund leave and walk down the hallway leading to Miss May's music class. When they enter, Miss May steps out from the bench behind the piano and walks over to them.

"Tracy, I'm glad that you're okay. Kira told me what happened," Miss May says.

"So am I, Principal Randall wanted me to give you this note," Tracy says.

She unzips her purse and hands it to her. Miss May nods and says, "Thank you, Tracy. Could you and your cousin sit down in the empty seats in the front row?  Kira, Hannah and Nick are about to perform."

They nod and go over to the chairs Miss May told them to sit in. She walks back over to the piano, sits down on the bench and places her fingers on the keys. Kira, Hannah and Nick line up, shortest to tallest. Hannah is 5'3'', has green eyes and chestnut brown hair. Nick is 5'8'', has dark brown eyes and short, curly black hair. A few seconds later Miss May begins to play "America The Beautiful."

Nick and Kira sing the first verse. Tracy is impressed by Nick's range since he had to sing an octave higher so his voice would mesh well with Kira's. She and Hannah sing the second verse. Tracy notices that Kira is singing in a lower key than when they sang together. She is a tad jealous that their harmonies sounded even better than her and Kira's. Nick and Hannah sing the third. Their harmonies are a bit out of tone. The class starts to cheer and whistle when the three sing together for the last verse. They stand up when Miss May finished playing the last notes. The group takes a bow.

"Alright class settle down," Miss May says as she holds her hand up.

The class quiets down and takes their seats again. Kira, Nick, and Hannah turn around to face their teacher.

"Good work, Nick and Hannah. You two need to tighten your harmony. Hannah you were flat. Nick, you were over singing.Remember only to sing the notes you've learned." Miss May says sternly.

"Yes, Ma'am," Nick and Hannah say.

The group heads back to their seats.

"Tracy, if you're up to it, would you like to sing something?" Miss May asks.

Tracy nods. She walks over to Miss May and whispers her song choice into her ear. The teacher flips through the sheet music in the folder on the music rest and finds "God Bless The USA." Tracy stands behind her so she can see the words and starts to sing the first verse after the introduction ends. Edmund waits till she gets to the chorus before he gets up and walks over to her. He starts to sing with her after she sings the first line. He puts his arm around her when they sing "And I gladly stand up, next to you and defend her still today."

Tracy lets him sing the second verse. They sing the chorus together. When the song ends, they get a standing ovation. Miss May holds up her hand to quiet the class down again.

"Mr. Browning, I'm impressed you and your cousin sound amazing together." Miss May compliments.

"Thank you, Ma'am," Edmund says.