A surprise Homecoming

Normal POV

Principal Randall has just finished doing her rounds, checking the hallways, and making sure that all of the students are in class as they should be. She walks into the main office to see Petty Officer 1st Class Edmund Browning walking up to her. He is wearing his navy digital blue camouflage uniform.

"Excuse me, sir, but all visitors must sign and carry a visitor's pass to walk around the campus."

"It's right here, Ma'am," Edmund says as he shows her the pass from his jacket pocket.

"I assume that you've come here to surprise one of the students?"

"Yes, my cousin, Tracy Burlew. I was asked by my commanding officer to give a speech about marine science to Dr. Oliver's class of senior students today". Edmund answers.

Back in Dr. Oliver's classroom, the class sees him write the words 'US Navy science' on the blackboard. He turns around to see Ethan quickly raise his hand.

"Yes, Ethan, what's wrong?" He asks.

"I thought we were going to learn about the Sinraptor?" Ethan asks.

"Sorry, Ethan, we will do that next week. Since Armed Forces Day is this Thursday, a few teachers from each grade got together and convinced Principal Randall to let us do a special week of lessons based on a specific branch of the military. The senior class will learn about the Navy." He explains.

"Umm," Devin says as he slowly raises his hand.

"Yes, Devin," Dr. Oliver says.

"Are we going to be tested on this?" Devin asks.

"No, but I'd like you to pay attention to the speaker and show him the same amount of respect you show me every day." Dr. Oliver replies.

"Who is going to teach the class?" Kira asks as she raises her hand.

In the hallway, Edmund stands in front of the door. He decides that this is his cue to walk in, so he puts his hand on the doorknob, slowly turns it and opens the door. Inside the room, when Tracy hears the words 'Navy' and 'Armed Forces,' she is reminded of her cousin, Edmund, and just how much she misses him and wishes that he could be here for her graduation. She stops playing with her necklace when she hears the door open. She looks up and sees someone dressed in a navy digital blue camouflage uniform.

"Sorry I'm late, Dr. Oliver," Edmund says.

Tracy's eyes nearly pop out of their sockets. A few seconds later, they fill with happy tears after Edmund walks over to Dr. Oliver. He turns to face the class and stands to the left of their teacher.

"Class, it's my pleasure today to introduce Petty Officer 1st Class Edmund Browning. He has graciously volunteered his time today to talk to you. Please remember what I said earlier about respect. Mr. Browning, my students, are all yours." Dr. Oliver says.

Cassidy looks over at Tracy. She sees Tracy trying to hide her happy facial expression by covering her mouth with her hands. A tiny pool of tears gathers under her eyes, trying to hold back her tears of joy. She nudges Devin's right arm. He turns his head to look at her.

"What was that for?" He whispers.

"Devin, quick, get out your camera. Before we miss The Military Homecoming reunion, it's the one story every new caster needs to film." She whispers.

He nods and quickly picks up his camera bag. He nearly drops it while he rushes to get it out and turn it on. He thinks that he charged the battery last night, but the meter reads 25 present. He hopes that will be enough power to record what Cassidy wants him to tape.

"Thank you for that nice introduction, Dr. Oliver, but there is one thing I need to do before I start my speech," Edmund says.

He walks around the counter and stands in front of it, where the walkway is in between the rows of tables. Tracy slowly takes her hands away from her mouth. She gets up from her stool and runs up to him. She hears the applause of respect from the class, and Dr. Oliver starts filling the room as she gives him a big hug.

"I'm so happy that you're home. I've missed you so much." Tracy says tearfully.

"Same here, and I have one more surprise, but I'll tell you after class," Edmund says.

The applause fades as they back away from each other and go back to their original spots. Devin turns off the camera and puts it back in the bag before he places it on the floor next to his stool. Tracy takes the travel pack of tissues out of her purse. She uses one to dab the rest of her happy tears from her eyes and another to blow her nose. Then puts the tissues back inside her now-empty bag and gets up to throw it away. She sits down again as Edmund starts his speech.