A Rocky Road to Recovery Part 1

Tracy's POV

I'm glad the surgery went well. I must anxiously wait until the doctor gives me the okay to sing again. Till then, I'm on strict vocal rest. Tomorrow I have my first appointment with the vocal therapist in Reefside to help me strengthen my vocal cords. I spent the weekend in Silver Hills, and today Wes is reminded that I'm not a morning person, as he wakes me up before sunrise to drive back to Reefside. I roll and pick up the new phone that Wes's dad gave me as a 'graduation' gift. I only got it because it was smarter than the one I currently had and had an app I could use to communicate while recovering. I'm still learning to type on the tiny keys, but I'm glad I'm a quick learner with technology.

"Wes, you know, I don't function before sunrise. I'm going back to bed," my phone says as I set it back on the end table.

I lie back down, but Wes pulls the covers away and sets them on the floor.

"Nice try, but a surprise is waiting for you in the kitchen. Please get dressed," Wes says.

I nod and try not to groan. Dr. Calhoun told me I'm not allowed to talk, clear my throat, whisper, or cough (if I can avoid it, that is.) I pick my glasses off the end table, put them on then get dressed for school. I put my new phone in my purse, then take it and my bookbag off the hook on the wall near the door before heading downstairs to the kitchen. I do my best not to let out a happy shout after seeing Mike standing next to Mr. Collins. After I dropped my things and the shock wore off, I calmly went over to him. He kisses me on the cheek, picks me up, and spins me around before setting me back down.

"Morning, angel, and thanks for keeping this a secret, Wes," Mike says.

"You're welcome," Wes says.

"Tracy, your father dropped this off. He said you should open it ASAP," Mr. Collins says, handing me a letter from Michigan State University.

My left hand begins to tremble. I'm nervous this could be a fake letter again, but as I reach for it, I notice the labels are perfectly aligned, and my name is spelled correctly. I mouth thank you as I pick a letter opener, slide it under the top of the envelope, and run it across.

"I know getting a letter from college can be nerve-racking but did Tracy just mouth thank you?" Wes asks.

"Grant and his Jerkterage mailed Tracy several fake letters before, so she had to ensure that this one was real," Mike says.

I smile, hearing Mike use the nickname I gave Grant and his crew as I take the letter out, and it reads:

Dear Ms. Burlew,

We are pleased to inform you of your admission to the Bachelor of Music in Performance program for the Michigan State College of Music fall semester of 2004-2005. We congratulate you on your academic achievement. You have every reason to feel proud of the capabilities and aspirations that led you to Michigan State. I'd also like to inform you that the athletic department would like to offer you a scholarship to play softball; it will be worth $10,000.

Enclosed with your college acceptance letter, you will find a detailed document about the college and the next steps of admission. Make sure to submit your original academic records, your three latest passport-size photographs, and the first installment of the semester tuition to the admission office by July 30 to complete the admission process.

Again, the entire Michigan State University staff welcomes you and wishes you all the best for continued success. We look forward to seeing you at our college on September 2, 2004.

I do my best to keep a poker face to help me fight the urge to jump and shout for joy.

"Angel, I take it from the fact you're trying to shout for joy. You got in?" Mike asks.