Slum Life

"Mom, are you coming home?" You asked, your voice slowly began cracking.

"No, I'll be back next week Pookie, I promise this time." She smiled weakly.

You looked at her, wiping the tears off your face. "Can you please tell me where your going mama?"

"I'm afraid I can't sweetie." She replied. She hugged you, then left out the door.

Here you were once again, your mother going wherever to get drugs and you being left alone, to fend for yourself. You knew why she was always leaving, she didn't think you did but you did. You were on 12 when it started, now you're 13 going on 14. You always thought you would get used to her going away for weeks, but you never did. To make things worst, she was taking the money she was supposed to spend, paying bills, to buy drugs. You sighed as you made your way out of the door.

"Hey Missy." Your next door neighbor waved, calling you by your nick name. You hated your name, and she knew it.

"Hi Carly." You waved back, walking down the steps.

"You look nice." She smiled.

If only she knew how you got your stuff. You mom would sell her body for high amounts of money, just to get you what you wanted. It got bad, towards the point you didn't even ask her for things anymore. Now she would just buy you things she liked. Stuff she liked was quite revealing, skin tight, and expensive, but you didn't have a choice, you had to wear what you were given.

"Thanks." You falsely smiled, pulling your shirt down a little.

"Wanna walk me to the store?" She asked, walking down her porch stairs.

"Um, sure." You responded, folding your arms over your stomach. Last time you ate was 2 days ago. You played it off, but only time you would eat is when the school gave out lunch, and it was the weekend.

"Want me to buy you something?" She looked.

You wanted to say yes, but you didn't want to seem needy. "No, I'm fine."

She wasn't buying it, she seen your facial expression. She walked in the store, you weren't that far behind her. You walked in behind her as she headed straight to the back. A group of boys were back there making a lot of noise, but you didn't say anything.

"Um can I have 2 cheese steak platters?" Carly asked the man and he nodded.

"What you want on it?" He pulled out a note pad, and began taking down notes. After she told him everything he nodded.

"Okay, how much?" She looked at you then back at the man.

"5.00." He told her and she nodded, walking past the boys, to the cashier.

You were following behind her when you tripped over one of the boys feet. But before you could fall one grabbed your hand, stopping you. You looked at his face and he let you go.

"My bad ma." He smiled at you.

"Its okay." You replied, walking away.

"Why you ain't get her number!?" You heard his friends yelling at him.

"I forgot." He laughed.

"Aug, go get it." His friends pushed him in your direction.

"Can I holla' at you for a minute?" He asked.

"Okay." You looked at him. He grabbed your hand and guided you outside the store.

-

This was a super duper old idea I wrote on a previous account. I wanted to make this into a story back then.