Chapter 71: Independent Faith

When I wake up I move around and feel that Dean is not next to me. I sit up slowly, removing the crust out of me eyes to look for him. His leather jacket is gone, and so is his bible. I get up slowly and walk over to my cellphone on the table. I find his number and dial it quickly. He picks up after the 3rd ring.

"Hey, where are you?" I ask through a yawn.

"I already left to meet with Pastor Gideon" He responds to my question.

"Well, you should have woke me. I can get changed and be there within the hour." I tell him, making my way over to the sink to rinse the sleep off my face.

He coughs "no, it's alright. I want to do this one on my own. I'll be back in a couple of hours" He says, sounding sad.

"Are you sure?" I ask him, hearing his tone.

"I'm sure" He says back.

I breath out deep and turn the sink off. "Ok.." is all I say.

"I'll see you soon" He goes to hang up.

"Dean, wait." I stop him, hoping it's not too late.

"Ya?" He says back.

"Is everything okay?" I ask. He hums out a yes, not making me feel better. "Are we okay?" I ask next.

"Yes, we're great" He says back, with less sadness in it. "bye" he says again before hanging up this time.

I place my phone on the side of the sink and make my way back to the bed. Now what am I going to do for a couple of hours?

I go back to sleep but not for long. When I open my eyes again, it's only 40 minutes later. I decide to get up and call Sam to check on Paul. I dial his number, but he doesn't answer. So I try again, and he still doesn't answer. I put the phone down and decide to take a shower. One long shower later, I expect to see Dean when I get out, only he is not back yet. I check my phone for any missed messages and don't have any. I sit there, literally twiddling my thumbs, trying to keep myself occupied. Another 42 minutes pass before I have enough and leave the room. I take the same walk Dean and I took our last date on. I go to the same bistro we did then and eat lunch alone. I left my phone at the motel, hoping the time would seem to pass faster without me looking down at it every 2 minutes. When I've finished, I get back to the motel and when I enter the room Dean is there reading his bible at the table.

"Hey, where you been?" He asks with a smile getting out of his seat to greet me. My heart softens just a little. Although he told me over the phone we were okay, it was still hard to believe him.

I smile back and return the hug he embraced me in "just walking, no one was answering their phones." I say walking over to the table after we let go. 2 missed calls, one from Dean and one from Sam. Of course. Dean returns to his seat and I sit down cross legged on the bed.

"Sam called me when you didn't pick up, everything is good with Paul." He informs me.

I nod my head and let a quick exhale escape my lips. I lift the leftovers back out towards him "want my leftover salad?" I ask.

He gives me a disgusted look "salad? Ya, no thanks" He chuckles before putting his head back down to read.

I shrug, knowing better then to ask if Dean wanted something healthy. I change the subject "how was your meeting with the Pastor? Seemed to be gone awhile.." I trail off..

"It was good.. we went over the rest of the commandments." He says without looking up.

I wait for him to indulge more details, but he doesn't. So I prompt him further "and.."