𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲. 𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒇𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒅

𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒂

𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒂

THREE YEARS FROM NOW, LOUISIANA, NEW ORLEANS, March 16th, 2017

"Hey," Evelina says scoldingly as she walks toward her child. "Don't touch that, Nova."

"But Mom!" she whines, her tiny hands reaching out again. "Why not?"

"You're three," she humbly reminds her.

"But—"

"No," Evelina cuts her off takes the magic herb from her, and puts it back on the table.

She sighs and slumps back in the chair, "okay, Mommy," she sighs, "is something wrong? You're sad."

Evelina crouches down in front of her child, "Too much is happening, baby. And I'm sorry for not being the same mommy that I used to be," she pulls her child in and kisses her on her forehead, "but things will change soon. I promise."

She hugs Evelina tightly and closes her eyes, "Okay, Mommy, I believe you."

There's a sudden knock at the door, interrupting Nova and Evelina.

Hayley walks in from the living room and over to Evelina, "are you expecting anyone?" she asks.

Evelian shakes her head, "no, are you?"

"Nope," Hayley replies and then looks at Nova, "stay in here, okay?"

Nova nods as Evelina looks at the door suspiciously before looking back at her daughter. "I'll be right back. Don't touch anything while I'm gone."

Evelina stands up and walks over to her front door with Hayley, swinging it open. She furrows her eyebrows at the person at the door, "Stefan?! What the fuck are you doing here?"

He's breathing heavily, almost like he's panicked. Which, given the circumstances, he probably is. "I won't be here long, just let me in."

Hayley holds her hands up in front of Stefan's chest, "wait, hold on. Our children are here. You being here puts them in danger. You've done this once before."

Hayley and Lina exchange glances with each other, "Rayna is in the armory," Lina tells her, "he should be fine for now at least."

Hayley nods reluctantly, "Okay. Fine. In and out."

Lina steps to the side and Stefan enters. Hayley peeks outside, looking around, before closing the door.

The two women walk behind him toward the living room, "what do you need?" Lina asks, "Where's Valerie?"

He turns toward her, "She's outside waiting. But, I need your help."

She cocks her head, "I haven't seen you or heard from you in three years and you expect me to drop everything and help you?"